Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do you Measure A Hat?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
A front to back and side to side measurement of the hat opening are far more accurate than going through the trouble of getting a circumference measurement if you are not working with a conformature or actual hatters tools

there is also the theory of taking the front to back and side to side measurements... adding them together and dividing the sum by 2 and getting a semi accurate US size measurement ... actually more than semi accurate ... I have found it to be quite accurate

for example a hat that fits me perfectly is 8" front to back ... and 6.5" side to side ... add those together and divide the sum by 2 and you get 7.25 ... which is my exact size

and this way you need nothing more than a simple tape measure

WOW Anthony , I never heard that , but you're exactly right ! Mine is 8 X 6.75 = 7.375 on my Best Fitting Hat , just shy of 7 3/8 LO . Plus the Hat Stretcher deal is good , as the rest are with tape , belt , etc . , live and learn . Thanks Teach !

... so , just thinking , .125" = 1/8" I think , so ... a True 7 1/4 could stretch that much , pretty positive ... . You just have to over stretch to get it to maintain . ... wait , that's size , inches that's a 1/4" I think , ... need to analyze the size/cm difference and compare . That's still a half size diff , dah !

Last edited:

milandro

A-List Customer
some time ago a member wrote (In another thread) that the best way to ,ensure is to : " front-to-back and side-to-side measurements of the inside of the hat and divide by 2"

well, that woks fine with inches but not for cm

shopkin

New in Town
When you add the inside length and the inside width, then divide by two, you get the average inside diameter. The average inside diameter in inches is the same as the hat size.

1 inch = 2.54 cemtimeters.

If the inside dimentsions were 8 inches long and 6 inches wide, thats:

8 in. x 2.54 = 20.32. cm
6 in. x 2.54 = 15.4 2cm

20.32 cm + 15.42 cm = 34.74 cm

34.74 cm / 2 = 17.37 cm (average inside diameter)

to convert the average inside diameter to the inside circumference multiply by pi, 3.14

17.37 cm x 3.14 = 54.5 cm

Last edited:

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
the brim width, the crown height, circumference, etc?
American Size is calculated by measuring inside the sweat band, front to back plus side to side, and dividing by 2. Brim measures from the hat band out to the edge of the Brim. Crown Height is with the Crown Popped out from the bottom of the Hat Band to the top of the Crown.

Example - front to back =8", side to side =7" added to gether is 15 divided by 2 = 7.5 American size

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Circumference is tougher. I use a cloth tape and measure in segments from the back of the sweat all the way around. I'll tell you, though, I've had better luck when buying hats getting the seller to accurately measure diameter across front-to-back and side-to-side (ex: 8 1/8" x 6 5/8"). Almost all of my 7 1/4s are within 1/16th inch of each other in both directions.

Indeed. Isn't the old sizing method (in which I am a UK7 /US7 1/8 vs, the metric system, in which I am a 57) based on some sort of calculation on those measurements?

Edward

Bartender
American Size is calculated by measuring inside the sweat band, front to back plus side to side, and dividing by 2. Brim measures from the hat band out to the edge of the Brim. Crown Height is with the Crown Popped out from the bottom of the Hat Band to the top of the Crown.

Example - front to back =8", side to side =7" added to gether is 15 divided by 2 = 7.5 American size

Aha! (I really need to remember to read the whole thread first....)

I wonder where the 1/8 difference between US and UK sizing comes from?

some time ago a member wrote (In another thread) that the best way to ,ensure is to : " front-to-back and side-to-side measurements of the inside of the hat and divide by 2"

well, that woks fine with inches but not for cm

The discrepancy comes from what sizes mean in the two systems. The US system is the inside circumference dived by pi (3.14). The metric system is a better way, in my opinion, and it’s just the inside circumference. You can still come up with a close approximation of the metric size isi g the length and width measurements, but you have to go another step and multiply by pi.

The discrepancy comes from what sizes mean in the two systems. The US system is the inside circumference dived by pi (3.14). The metric system is a better way, in my opinion, and it’s just the inside circumference. You can still come up with a close approximation of the metric size isi g the length and width measurements, but you have to go another step and multiply by pi.

I agree the metric size, (58cm, 55cm, etc) is a more precise indication of hat size. But unless you have the right tool, it's difficult to determine that.

(LxW)/2 is quick and dirty, and requires no special tools.

Save the pi for dessert. :D

wsmontana

A-List Customer
I agree the metric size, (58cm, 55cm, etc) is a more precise indication of hat size. But unless you have the right tool, it's difficult to determine that.

(LxW)/2 is quick and dirty, and requires no special tools.

Save the pi for dessert. :D

Beware that the average of L and W gets less accurate as L and W diverge.

For example, 7 is the average for 7x7, 8x6, and 9x5 but the actual respective circumference for these are 22, 22.1, and 22.44.

The average method is probably close enough for regular oval hats but XLO and XXLO hats could be a problem if you want accurate sizing.

The circumference formula for an ellipse is not trivial but there are handy online calculators for this. You plug in L and W and it finds the circumference.

Beware that the average of L and W gets less accurate as L and W diverge.

For example, 7 is the average for 7x7, 8x6, and 9x5 but the actual respective circumference for these are 22, 22.1, and 22.44.

The average method is probably close enough for regular oval hats but XLO and XXLO hats could be a problem if you want accurate sizing.

The circumference formula for an ellipse is not trivial but there are handy online calculators for this. You plug in L and W and it finds the circumference.

Like I said, quick and dirty. For my part, I want an 8 x 6.5 hat, as that fits my head shape, so variations on that is what I'm looking for. I'm all for getting exact measurements if you have the correct tools, but it can be overkill for the purpose of deciding whether or not to bid on a hat. And for an eBay listing, your accuracy is only as good as the bloke on the other end of the auction's measurements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy