Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how do you store your hat?

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I store mine in boxes with cedar blocks for moth deterence. I only keep out the one or two I am currently wearing and they hang on a rack. The straws stay on hat shelves in a closet.

What I'd like to have.

What I have always dreamt of is a hat sized version of those barrister book cases with the glass fronts.

Each shelf as deep and wide and high ehough to accomodate 3 fedoras across. Perhaps with an LED lighting system!

Beautiful, richly finished wood, glass doors and a cedar lining.
(Almost like a fedora humidor!)

panama jack

One of the Regulars
John,
It sounds like you have been dreaming about this a lot. That would be the perfect solution for storing hats. This way you can see your entire collection and still be protected.

pj

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
What I have always dreamt of is a hat sized version of those barrister book cases with the glass fronts.

I'm with you, John! I'm the type that's kind of "out of sight, out of mind." I find myself wearing the same few hats most of the time because they're the ones that are already out, or handy, or on top of the stack. Keeping them in something like you're describing would keep them handy, show them off, and keep them somewhat dust free! I like it! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

P.S. Too bad I don't have the means nor the space for it...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
This is a good method for any type of hat, especially safari brim hats which can't really be put on a flat surface.

In shops, you often see hats stacked on top of each other. That way, only the botton hat has to be suited for a flat surface. If you have a homburg, put it on your flat surface and stack the other hats on top, as the homburg has a flat brim at the bottom. Of course, this may cause trouble if you want to wear your homburg, but it works for me because my homburg is the wrong size so I hardly ever wear it anyway.

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
For anyone living near a Western Warehouse, they are currently going out of business nation-wide and selling off their fixtures and merchandise. The two local stores here in Colorado Springs have the foam and the plastic hat stands on sale for $1 or $2 each. This doesn't save any shelf space, but it does solve a problem of needing to hang the front brim over the edge for some hats...

Bernie

avedwards said:
This is a good method for any type of hat, especially safari brim hats which can't really be put on a flat surface.

In shops, you often see hats stacked on top of each other. That way, only the botton hat has to be suited for a flat surface. If you have a homburg, put it on your flat surface and stack the other hats on top, as the homburg has a flat brim at the bottom. Of course, this may cause trouble if you want to wear your homburg, but it works for me because my homburg is the wrong size so I hardly ever wear it anyway.
I use some old Scala wool crushers to stack my good fur felt hats on, for those that I don't have hat tree space for...

for long term storage I use a hat box, but for my daily wearers, I made cardboard tubes from posterboard (kinda like the ones in a hatbox) and set the hat upside down in them so the crown or brim doesn't get misshapped.

I love the idea of a fedora humidor, but 1) my house isn't big enough for that 2) my payroll isn't big enough for that 3) my hats aren't expensive enough for that.

AEH

One of the Regulars
I use this cheap IKEA shoerack for storing a few hats.

ikeahylle.jpg

A snapped brim will hang over the edge.

I also use this hook from Van Dyke's Restorer:

http://www.vandykes.com/product/cg125027/polished-brass-coat-hook

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
jpbales said:
for my birthday, my girlfriend got me this awesome hat stand. At first I wasn't too fond of it because it l)\0\05{\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0display, but after collecting a few hats I've come to realize how nice it really is! I can attach up to 16 arms to hold hats on. The part that the hats sit on is 4.5 inches in diameter, which spreads the weight of the hat pretty well. I keep some plastic bags around so if I don't wear a hat for several days I can cover it so it doesn't get dusty. I can also adjust the height of each set of arms to my liking.

HatRack1.jpg

HatRack2.jpg

Exactly where did your discerning girlfriend find this hat rack ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace