Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do You Wear Your Hat?

How Do You Wear Your Hat?

• Total voters

One Too Many
Just tilted left to right
2270846220106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

2760289890106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Normally, I wear my hats straight on the head, and above the ears, not at ear-level. Since I have a preference for relatively low crowns (nothing below four inches though), they tend to sit that way comfortably. I do tilt on occasion, but most often to the left, not the right, as I have had a surgery on the left ear in the past decade that left it lower than my right.

scooter

Practically Family
hey 150719541, that grey hat in your post above is really sharp. I really like that hat! As for how I wear mine. Mostly straight and level, but probably tilted just a touch forward and down on my right ear. The right ear thing is not intentional, it just always seems to find it's way down to just touch the very top of my ear.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I wear mine mostly tilted forward and down over the left eye a bit. Not a lot of tilt, but enough to give a slight bit of attitude. When I get really not n' sweaty, I'll tilt it back so the sweatband is about at my hairline until my brow dries.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Where is that place in Eastern Europe where nodding yes and shaking ones head no has the opposite meaning?

Bulgaria. The nod for "no" is actually an upward movement, rather than downwards for reasons outlined below. The sideways shake for "yes" is in the form of a wavy motion.

According to Bulgarian friends of mine it started during the Ottoman occupation from the 15th to the 19th centuries. I will have to find out the full story as I don't remember it correctly

T Rick

Practically Family
As the mood strikes me really. Varies with the hat too I suppose. With a moderate brim (2 1/2 inch) like my Mallory or Stetson Standard Quality, I've found I can pull off tilted back well, but more often they'll be tilted forward and may be cocked more to one side or the other. My Open Roads tend to go either straight and level or tipped just slightly to one side (Cattleman's bash and front snapped down). I'm sure I'll go though most options at some point over the next year.

Raider

One of the Regulars
Great topic.....My dad, who was 46 when I was born and quite a bit older than most of my friends dads, always wore his hat tilted to the right....he was the only man I knew growing up who wore hats that way...I'm pretty sure it was a holdover from the military.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Great topic.....My dad, who was 46 when I was born and quite a bit older than most of my friends dads, always wore his hat tilted to the right....he was the only man I knew growing up who wore hats that way...I'm pretty sure it was a holdover from the military.

Interesting, my dad was also 46 when I was born (Mom was only 35). Even though he was born in 1916, I never saw him wear a hat (except a baseball cap and in his one and only Army photo) his entire life.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I cast my vote for to the left or right and that has me thinking... for anyone else who votes that do you tilt your hat to which ever side you are dominant? I tip my hat to the right, and I am right handed... does that mean something? I have tried angling the hat to the left and it looks awkward to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24