Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does one locate a phonograph repair person?

Kimberly

Practically Family
I hope I am posting in the right section, I am still a newbie and don't know what subject belongs where.

I know it sounds like a strange question but I am hitting a brick wall. I bought a vintage Webcor Phonograph and everything works but it needs a new needle. I am clueless when it comes to electronics so I looked in the Yellow Pages and there is nothing there. Do you think I can do an eBay search for the proper needle and put it in myself or should it be done by someone who has an idea of what they are doing.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Kimberly,

http://www.kudzu.com/search.do

Try Kudzu.com. You put in your search and your area and it will tell about people (and services) in your area that can do the job. I found a guy to hook up all my cable t.v./components to the new t.v. He did a great job and was knowledgeable and professional.

You may just find who you're lookin' for!

-dixon cannon

p.s. or this site: http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Webcor

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Webcor used to be Webster Chicago Corp., of that city. They're probably best known for their wire recorders of the 1940s-50s and I believe they were the market leader in that transitional technology. They also made early tape recorders and a line of portable record players called the Webcor Holiday Fonograf (sic).

There were several models of Fonograf, one of which I used to own. It had 33, 45, and 78 speeds and I believe took an Astatic stylus. Later models added 16 rpm (for talking book use in schools). There were also hi-fi and stereo Fonografs with separate speakers.

I assume you can still get the "flip over" type styli with both 33 and 78 points, but I don't know how many models they're made for or how you would know what to get.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Thanks everyone.

Scotrace, I believe it is a late 50's early 60's model. I have no clue what kind of needle it is. This is the first phonograph I have owned since I was 12.:D

Dixon, I just registered over there and am waiting for my confirmation code so I can search. In looking at the Needle Dr. Site, and after looking at it I believe I may need more than just a needle because the wiring is a little crazy too.

Thanks for the information Fletch. I believe this one has the 33, 45 and 78 too.

Here is a pic of it.

webcor.jpg

Kimberly

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Is that a wood veneered case? Mine was a portable with rounded corners and a handle, covered in lurid green and white vinyl-like material.

Yes it is. It also says Musicale High Fidelity Coronet inside of it. I did look on eBay to see if I could find something similar to it, but didn't see anything except for vintage advertisments.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Those can be useful for ID'ing models and such if the pictures are big enough to tell you anything (usually pretty pricey to buy outright, tho).

Yup, I noticed the price of those and I agree they can be steep. The eBay sellers also seem to make good money on the manuals too. I couldn't get over the cost of some of them, especially because they were photocopies. :eek:

Flivver

Practically Family
There are two companies who advertise in Antique Radio Classified that offer either new cartridges or will re-build your existing one. They are:

www.vintagelectronics.com

www.west-techservices.com

Judging from the appearance of your phonograph, I would guess it dates from the mid 1950s. Webcor made some very nice equipment during this era. I have a mid 1950s Webcor tape recorder that works quite well.

Hope this helps!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Thanks everyone. I will work on all of the contacts you gave me this upcoming week. I will be so happy if I can get it working and finally start using it! It will be another thing I can start collecting. :D

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Flivver said:
Hi Kimberly,

Smart choice for a player. Webcors / Webster Chicago's - They were one of the biggest and best makers of the 40s-60s. Built like tanks. Seen pics of their earlier 78 changers installed in a number of sea vessels; they seemed a favorite of the armed forces.

temp_webcor_bg.jpg

Ran a home-based business for a few months between dayjobs a couple years back (during dot-com bust), restoring/selling these type boxes.

temp_recplayers2.jpg

Worked on several Webcors, among others. Flivver's reccomend for West-Tech is a great one. Used them a lot (idlers, electric pickup rebuilding) - anything you need for record players, they have it or can tell you where to get it. That radio+phono newsgroup is great too.

You can try just replacing the needle first since that'd be cheapest, then decide if more work's needed. A loud hum usually means the amp needs work (power filter caps); no sound could be just about anything; lack of normal amount of bass for that type player could be rubber needle mount block inside pickup has gotten hard over time & doesn't flex (West-Tech)...

As for dating it, since Webcor made their own changers, you can date their boxes by the changer (up-to-date). Based on your pic, it's later than their 1953 model (stacker arm still had the small hole, had to use those 45 inserts...)

temp_webcor_1953.jpg

but earlier than the 58 model (rubber mat)

temp_webcor_1958.jpg

Yours is around the 56 model- still had the flocked ttable: (click first pic)

temp_webcor_1956.jpg
temp_webcor_1956b.jpg

The turntable sheets don't tell you what type needle since it took all kinds; here's 3 different kinds it could handle (top-button kind is usually "magnetic" & can't be replaced with 1980s public school bullet-type, as some shops routinely suggest)....

temp_webcor_1956c.jpg

So if you want to start out trying to just replace the original needle in the existing pickup, you can either try to match with a picture ID guide, or get the pickup model number & go by that. There's sometimes white paper glued on the side of the pickup like below, or the model number is molded or paint-stamped on - then whoever sells needles should have a reference to find the right needle:

temp_webcor_pickup.jpg

You have to be careful about the size of the actual jewel tip on the needle. the needle may fit your pickup, but if the jewel tip isn't the right size, it'll ruin your records and just sound bad. The 78 side is usually sold as "3 mil" size, the LP/45 side as "1 mil" or "0.7 mil" size. If a needle dealer doesn't know what you're talking about when you say that, find a better dealer.

If you get serious about using it a lot, next you might make sure at least the power supply ("rectifier") tubes are good - http://www.tubesandmore.com can walk you through.

Good luck with your player, that's a nice 50s box!

- C H

Kimberly

Practically Family
Wow Cousin Hepcat those are some gorgeous pictures. Are those all yours they are are gorgeous.

When I turn it on it already makes a humming noise. It is not overly loud or anything, but it is noticeable. I will get a better feel for the noise once I can finally start playing record players on one (I will be an ultra cheap record I don't care about to test it). Based on your pictures, I think I need more than a needle. If you look really closely at my picture, you will see the wiring going all the way down the arm of the needle part). I can't understand why those are visible and how I could fix it. It is obvious even to a novice like me though that it doesn't belong like that. lol

I am happy to hear that I bought a good brand. I know nothing about phonographs but I saw this at a thrift for $15 and I plugged it in and it seemed to work so I bought it. I figured even if I couldn't get it to work, it would still look nice on display for that amount.

I LOVE the Benny Goodman ad!

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Kimberly said:
Based on your pictures, I think I need more than a needle. If you look really closely at my picture, you will see the wiring going all the way down the arm of the needle part). I can't understand why those are visible and how I could fix it. It is obvious even to a novice like me though that it doesn't belong like that. lol
Webcors had small screws with retainer plates on the underside of the arm to hold the wiring in place. If they're missing, a temporary fix is to do like the cheaper brands & just stuff little pieces of foam or rubber padding up in the hollow of the arm. Make sure if there's a spring, you don't pad that.

Kimberly said:
Wow Cousin Hepcat those are some gorgeous pictures. Are those all yours they are are gorgeous.
Thanks - the b&w pics are from a set of service books; color pic was of some players I'd marked for re-sale. Need to take pics sometime of the much nicer 1920s-50s players I saved to keep... could probably fill one entire wall with players on display shelves, some real beauties & foreign oddities in there.

Pathetic, really... but at least, doing player restoration as a business for awhile seemed to "cure" me! lol ("Hi, I'm Cousin Hepcat, and I haven't bought a record player in 4 years." :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :D )

Have fun

- C H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany