Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How "giving" is this group

RedPop4

One Too Many
As some may know, I'm a moderator at another board, and I hate that I keep mentioning it. But I have a question for Loungers, and this isn't an indictment, or an accusation, I really want to know. The other site is a cigar site, by the by, and folks there are quite generous with their cigars, and other things when people are in need. Over the years we've sent, through various members, literally thousands of cigars, not only to each other in fun (that's called "bombing" ) but to the men-at-arms out in harms way, especially in Irak (Tim Russert's spelling.)

After Hurricane Katrina, I and a few other members were the beneficiaries of a tremendous out-pouring of both clothing and money. We (my family, alone) received a couple thousand dollars to tide us over during our exile from work and home.

Another member lost his wife in tragic circumstances in mid-December, and collections were taken, and gift cards sent to ensure his kids had some kind of positive force in their lives at Christmas time.

Please understand, I'm not looking for credit, or anything else, and neither are those members who've found their way here to discuss hats. I'm curious as to whether this type of thing is done here, or not. If not, is it a part of MK's guidelines? Is solicitation frowned upon, or is it that the event hasn't yet arisen?

I really am curious.
Thanks for your indulgence.

Tommy.

warbird

One Too Many
Thanks big RedPop. Folks we are just curious as Pop and I have something in mind if you all are open to it and the admin has no problem with it.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Certain members have asked for donations on this board in the past for things like a dance-a-thon for cancer. I supported those efforts and will likely do so again. The moderators didn't seem to have any problem with the solicitations at that time, so I'm assuming that this is an acceptable practive here, given that the need and the request are legitimate.

From the tenor of the posts here, I'm guessing that the members of the Lounge are a very generous sort. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I make a one-year plan for charitable donations to be given to an organization I'm familiar with. I don't give more when there's a crisis, but I don't give less when there isn't one.

Shearer

Practically Family
I don't know about the FL in particular as I'm fairly new, but I think there's a lot of good people around this community. Speaking personally, around Christmas I adopted two K-9 handlers and their dogs who are currently serving in Iraq. I had the most fun shopping for the Sgts. and their dogs than I've had in a long time.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
On a parallel with your cigar example, I know that people have sent hats to other members quite often, when they had something that could help a new hat-lover start their collection..etc....

I am sure there is a ton more of that behind the scenes that people don't end up hearing about.

Phil

A-List Customer
As I have seen here, the loungers may not give material goods but they definitley give advice and kind words out. It's a nice change from:
You're stupid
No, you're stupid
That's what i said to your mom
etc....:eusa_doh:

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps we could take up a collection to send cigars down to people in Noew Orleans. Maybe some bourbon as well.

But on a serious note, I think any organized greoup of people have the ability to use that organization on occasion to do some good in a way that an individual can't. That is always a good thing. Would not mind seeing some of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou