Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How important is your "gig line"?

kiltedjeeper

New in Town
BellyTank said:
Like that? That's pertaining to one's general appearance- I haven't heard of "gig" or "gig line". Pronounced Jig or Gig? What exactly is meant by it?
BT.

someone has probably already beat me to this, but:

it's called a gig line, pronounced like it looks- hard gs.

Reason being- -if it wasn't right, you'd get a "gig", or demerit, in military inspection. It was and is an inspectable item of your appearance, along with the press and cleanliness of your general uniform and the polish on your brass, etc....

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
I tend to wear non pleated Dickies brand work pants and the short sleeve shirts as a normal uniform at work. Mainly because they look sharp and they are pretty darned traditional in styling. (Not to mention they wear like iron. I never seem to wear them out. Normal khakis are a different story entirely!) My gig line is always straight but... I also wear my belt with the buckle one set of loops to the side. I started doing this about 7 or so years ago. Found it was easier to ride a motorcycle without pinching my stomach and creating a problem with the buckle on my chaps in colder weather.

So there ya have it- straight gig line is must for me but I wear the belt off to the side. Odd I know, and it may just sound weird. In the end it still looks very sharp! And I'm surprised at how many people actually notice the belt. Great for conversation to say the least.:D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
Asymmetries are what makes clothing interesting.
That's where the imperfection of the FIH tie knot and the jauntily arranged pocket square come in. ;)

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
How important is my gig line?

Baron Kurtz said:
"Gig line". This is the first time i ever heard of it.

I can't say i've ever paid attention to whether it's aligned or not. Now that i know what it is, i shall endeavour to forget with all possible haste.

bk

lol lol lol Let's see.
Marine Corporal. Check
Air Force Staff Sgt. Check
Police Patrolman, Customs Patrol Officer & Supervisory Patrol Officer from Officer apprentice up through the rank of Captain.Check
Hmmmm?
I would say that if I am hanging around the house in my shorts and flip-flops, I concern myself with my Gig line.
A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!
I would sooner die than not have everything looking brisk and military.
If I am observed without such attention, it is because I am "doing a deal" and the part requires such inattention.
Or some really LARGE person with a really LARGE caliber weapon is forcing me to ignore it.lol lol lol lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
Was a collegiate look once to have you belt buckle off way to the side. I'll have to dig up some 1940's dancer pics.

Started amongst the jazz hipsters. My theory is bass players, so they wouldn't scatch their bass. I always wear my qhip belts that way. Have seen pants with built in belts that have it on the side.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
"Gig line". This is the first time i ever heard of it.

I can't say i've ever paid attention to whether it's aligned or not. Now that i know what it is, i shall endeavour to forget with all possible haste.

bk

I am with you. I button my shirt down the middle, hang my tie down over it as gravity dictates, snap or button my pants as they fit, with the zipper down the middle, and, well that is about it, except for the hat cocked dashingly to the side.

I thin you would have to be pretty slovenly to have your buttons, or fly or tie or vest buttons anywhere else but down the middle of your front.

Am I missing something?

As far as jib, that might be confused with "I like the cut of his jib" which is a comparison to a jib sail, which, if cut or trimmed correctly, would help you go faster.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
2 years, ten months seven days in the USMC pretty much imprinted a lined up gig line on my brain. Makes me very squirmy to see it not properly done.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
The Navy's interpretation...

BellyTank said:
Like that? That's pertaining to one's general appearance- I haven't heard of "gig" or "gig line". Pronounced Jig or Gig? What exactly is meant by it?
BT.

It represents the alignment of your shirt, your belt buckle and the fly of your trousers.

The USN seemed to have two interpretations of the gig line. I had learned that your shirt's buttoned edge, right edge of your belt buckle and fly edge should be aligned. The guys from Great Lakes centered the belt buckle between the shirt and trouser fly edges.

Regardless, it demonstrated an attention to detail in your appearance.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Okay, so what about a regular loop buckle. Do you center the whole buckly, or the end bar that actually shows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran