Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much are suits worth?

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Hello!

My grandfather had a lot of suits from different decades, but I believe most were from the late 40s-60s. He also had quite a few fedoras and some old sixpence hats.
He was so classy... wore a suit everyday up untill he died in the late 90s.

They were all given to a Goodwill-ish place. (Oh shock! Oh horror!)
- It was before my vintage-interest started.)
In retrospect, I am wondering how much they would have been worth?
Both the suits and fedoras.

He had ties too, but I have no clue from when they were.

Ps. I have no idea what brand they were. And As I don't live in the US, most suits probably weren't american. (He may have had some though)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Tinseltown, If you have photos or remember what they looked like, maybe have some documentation, you can always check out Ebay for a barometer of current value.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
carter said:
Tinseltown, If you have photos or remember what they looked like, maybe have some documentation, you can always check out Ebay for a barometer of current value.
Heh, I know.. But It's much easier asking you guys. lol

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
What size was he?

European vintage suits can be worth a lot of money to the correct buyer.

bk
Not sure.
He was not tall tho (in his old age) Maybe 5"7 or maybe a bit shorther.

Ah, that reduces the price by a good 100 euros to start with. Unless they were exceptionally rare suits (wonderful fabrics or cut etc) i'd say a fair valuation on a 1930s or 1940s 3-piece European suit [edit: in that size] in great condition would be £100-£150. All flaws reduce the value, as does the absence of a waistcoat. Some of us who are really into Euro tailoring would pay more for a European suit than a British one.

Generally the taller or fatter the original owner, the higher the price.

bk

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
Ah, that reduces the price by a good 100 euros to start with. Unless they were exceptionally rare suits (wonderful fabrics or cut etc) i'd say a fair valuation on a 1930s or 1940s 3-piece European suit [edit: in that size] in great condition would be £100-£150. All flaws reduce the value, as does the absence of a waistcoat. Some of us who are really into Euro tailoring would pay more for a European suit than a British one.

Generally the taller or fatter the original owner, the higher the price.

bk
Interesting.
Thanks! Too bad we donated them.
My granny had a lot of jewelery too.. but it was almost all stolen by people who came to clean. Boo.
She may even have given it to them because she is senile. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn