Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much younger does a fresh, crunchy Denim-jacket make you?

Mark

Practically Family
Put on a denim jacket and a pair of All Star Converse trainers and I feel like I'm in my early 20's again (talking mid 80's).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It might make you FEEL younger but to my eye it makes older men look older. It should also be added that not everyone looks good in a denim jacket - young or old. They never worked well for me, even in the 1980's when they were everywhere.

Gamma68

One Too Many
2A53F5E000000578-3153344-Rocker_style_The_Hey_Jude_crooner_showed_the_controversial_doubl-a-7_1436357068190.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
As with anything, it's the attitude and overall look of the wearer: if you're over 30 and wear a faux-aged denim jacket, dropped-crotch jeans and trainers that look like neon spaceships, then you'll look ridiculous. If you wear a well-fitted jacket that has developed character through wear and do so without self-consciousness, I don't see the problem. As far as Ringo goes, he's 76, and lived a pretty full-on life. No matter what he wears, he's going to look knackered.

TBH I could never really pull off the denim jacket with any confidence. I bought quite a few but always ended up with the Pinterest fail.
The goal:
IMG_3314.JPG

How I felt:
IMG_3315.JPG

Some guys pull them off and look effortless. I'm not one of them.

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
It didn't make this guy look any younger.

110228shameless-william-h-macy1.jpg

Of course, he was made up to look as down and out as the character he portrays here.

I have the same jacket, btw.

That's an awesome show. I also have the same jacket, and don't recall ever wearing it. It would make a cool Halloween costume though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
As with anything, it's the attitude and overall look of the wearer: if you're over 30 and wear a faux-aged denim jacket, dropped-crotch jeans and trainers that look like neon spaceships, then you'll look ridiculous. If you wear a well-fitted jacket that has developed character through wear and do so without self-consciousness, I don't see the problem. As far as Ringo goes, he's 76, and lived a pretty full-on life. No matter what he wears, he's going to look knackered.

Well, he was a Beatle, for fornication's sake. He was never going to be exactly Mr. Rock and Roll Cool. ;)

I'd agree, a lot depends on context. I think they can be aging if you come out of it looking like mutton dressed as lamb - it can all go a bit Top Gear chic if you're not careful. I had a Type 3 style (Dunnes Stores' finest!) which I wore for about a decade from I was fifteen; in my early thirties I bought one of the variations on that which Levis were then selling as the "Type 1" range (not a Type 1 proper. Quite nice, though a bit too long, imo). That was early in my dabbling with the rockabilly / psychobilly look. Still have it somewhere, though not worn it in years as I went off the double-denim look and couldn't imagine wearing denim with anything other than jeans. Considering dabbling again now, but only from pov of looking at a hot-weather motorcycle jacket (Kevlar lined and CE armour pockets). I highly doubt it'd make me look younger..... but then I don't really want to look younger these days. Been lucky enough that I've gotten happier as I've gotten older, rather than wanting to recapture a lost youth. I was rubbish at being young!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen