Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How on earth do you pin curl the back of your head?

agirlinwinter

New in Town
Hello,

I bought a Sculpture Pin Curler to give pin curls a go, never having done them before. I can do the front and even standing pin purls on top of my head, but I'm struggling with the back! I can't see what I'm doing for a start. Does anyone have any tips or tricks please? I was using a Lauren Bacall pin curl setting pattern which has two rows of up curls at the back.

Thank you!

Alice~

One of the Regulars
It will get easier with practise, but it will also get easier with cheating. ;) You can substitute pin curls for sponge rollers quite well for some looks - this is one of them. Just make sure the curls are placed in the same place the pin curls would be, and don't wrap the hair too tightly around the sponge. Only using sponge rollers for the back section means that you can still sleep on your side easily, too.

If you, understandably, want to master pin curls at the back, don't worry about them being too messy at first. As long as the ends are tucked into the curl you should be able to fix any messiness with a good brush out. It really will get a lot easier as you keep trying.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I agree with Alice. However using sponge rollers do tend to leave dents. If you do not want any dents you can use bobby pins. I find that these bobby pins http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Bobby-...=1363213972&sr=1-8&keywords=conair+bobby+pins work the best for flat pincurls and they stay in and are very comfortable to sleep in, two bobby pins together in a X holds them in tightly with out dents. I know pinning the back can be very frustrating when doing pin curls. I learned the best way is the touch and feel method. Do not worry if they seem messy when doing the back curls. I've been pin curling my hair for years and have never mastered a perfect back of the head pin curl set. All that matters is when you brush the curl out and even if they dstill do not come our right no one will know. That is the one thing I learned when doing vintage hairstyles. Since not a lot of people know what true vintage hair styles really look like. I've gotten a lot of great comments on a few vintage hairstyles I've done and thought they were just plane awful but someone would tell me my hair looks great. That was one of the leasons I learned when doing vintage hairstyles. And just like Alice all it takes is practise. Good luck and have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot