Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How popular is the fedora in 2011? Are hats seeing a resurgance finally?

EggHead

Practically Family
There should be more fedora wearers in San Francisco - the weather is perfect most of the year, people walk or use public transportation - wearing a hat should be natural as wearing a another layer of clothing, and many bold men should wear one anyway - saves future scalp problems.

Hal

Practically Family
...wearing a hat should be natural as wearing a another layer of clothing...
This is true, but unfortunately style and practicality are up against the stubborn mindset that comfortable clothing = minimal clothing, and unless and until this prejudice goes away, a hat will simply be "another thing I shouldn't have to wear" in popular opinion. Too many resent the putting on of any additional item, whether it be tie, jacket or hat. A great pity!

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A fedora, in particular, as opposed to a baseball cap, or a hood, is something that you have to put somewhere once inside which is a big inconvenience to today's convenience-obsessed public (a baseball cap is easily crammed into a coat pocket).

A fedora, in particular, as opposed to a baseball cap, or a hood, is something that you have to put somewhere once inside which is a big inconvenience to today's convenience-obsessed public (a baseball cap is easily crammed into a coat pocket).

Though in all honesty, ball cap wearers are not the sort who are likely to follow hat etiquette.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
scottyrocks said:

Though in all honesty, ball cap wearers are not the sort who are likely to follow hat etiquette.

True, but that wasn't really the point which was one of the reasons men don't wear fedoras, or hats, in general, because stowage requires a little thought when taken off in a public place. If one wanted to remove a baseball cap, stowage is a lot simpler.

This is very true. I was eating at a restaurant out of town on Saturday. I set my fedora on the table, off in the corner. It was the only place to go with it. I wear a ball cap for work. It stows in my lunch pail easily and covers the rats nest that is my hair after being under a brain bucket all day. They have a hat shelf in the coat area, surprisingly enough, I just don't trust my lid there.

True, but that wasn't really the point which was one of the reasons men don't wear fedoras, or hats, in general, because stowage requires a little thought when taken off in a public place. If one wanted to remove a baseball cap, stowage is a lot simpler.

MrAcheson

New in Town
I wore my Sydney to church and then out to lunch afterwards with my family. Not a lot of nice hats, but a few. Thankfully the Red Lobster had belaying cleats spaced about the restaurant which were perfect for hanging a hat or a coat. As I put my fedora on to leave, I noticed the patriarch of an African American family had hung his pork pie on the next hook over. Another older black man was walking in with a fawn fedora as I was leaving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn