Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How thick and heavy were the WW2 horsehide A2s ?

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
I have a US Authentic A2 horsehide..very thick and heavy..and a horsehide US Wings...not nearly as heavy but also IMO a very servicible jacket. The US Authentic ...slim cut ...US Wings a much more generous cut ...I also have a goatskin orange label Cooper A2 goat which is a very thin skin and slim cut. Realizing that the wartime A2s were made by many companies with different hides ..is there any consensus from FL on how heavy / thick in comparison ... those jackets were...??

pak

One of the Regulars
My US Wings Signature weighs 4.5lbs. Any more than that I'm not interested. But then I prefer goatskin.
Pete

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
Just as there were variations in WWII fit I would guess there was some variation in hide thickness but with most not being as heavy as U.S. Authentic A-2s. It's a good question. I would suppose Goodwear jackets would be an accurate comparison to most original jacket weights, as John Chapman acquired originals for research. I myself have only seen up close a couple of originals, and my closest weight A-2 to those I handled is an old horsehide Avirex I have that looks like a Perry.(I've owned 3 Eastmans and they were close as well.) Hopefully Aswatland will "weigh" in on this since he has owned many originals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn