Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to do It: Stiff Starch Grandma's Way

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Back when I was in the Army, we a crazy process for starching our uniforms, and then we would have contests on whose blouse had the best starch.

If your blouse could stand up by itself for five minutes without collapsing, you won... good times.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday I cleaned and starched almost all of my detachable shirt collars using the instructions on the back of an old Van Heusen collar wrapper, and it's given me the best results of any technique I've tried. This isn't for 2x4 stiff collars, I added more starch for my club collars which I like very stiff, but point collars I think are better softer.

WASHING
Wash as usual with good quality soap flakes. If necessary brush lightly with a soft brush, but avoid using bleaching preparations. If heavily soiled, soak the collars overnight to loosen the dirt. After washing, white Van Heusen collars may be boiled occassionally for half an hour using sufficient soap flakes to make a good lather. Thorough rinsing in hot water is essential on account of the density of the fabric. In the last rinse for white collars use Reckitts Blue.

GLOSS
To obtain a glossy surface, the collar should, after rinsing, be immersed for 2 or 3 minutes in a weak solution of starch. Make up starch as follows: Mix 1 tablespoonful of Robin Starch into a smooth cream with cold water, then add 1 pint of boiling water, stirring steadily, and cool down with 1/2 pint of cold water, or in equal proportions. The collar should then be dipped in clear, warm water, to remove excess starch from the face.

IRONING
Place the collar flat, face side up, and iron in a very damp condition with a hot iron. Iron briskly across the collar (not lengthwise) incresing pressure as collar becomes drier until a satisfactory gloss is obtained on the surface. Fold by hand only.

I don't have Robin Starch, but I do have Reckitts Blue. This works on other collars than Van Heusen, I also did it on Rocolla, Radiac, and a couple unmarked collars. I could use a polishing iron to get a better gloss, but they came out nice and smooth.

Anva

New in Town
Is there any secret as to how to get the collars really stiff? Does increasing the starch-to-water ratio make any difference? I cannot quite get my collars back to how stiff they were originally... they do get back that cardboard feeling, but are not as stiff as I would want them to be. Any help is appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo