Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to make new clothes look dirty? Help?

The Brando method. Wear the buggering costume for the next month. Wear nothing else. Never clean it. Beg if you have to. Steal if you have to.

Live the character!!!

bk

Seriously, though. Nothing will make the costume look lived in more than you really feeling the fact that it has been lived in …

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Put on the outfit then do the following in no particular order:

Work on your car
Do Yard work
Clean out your attic
Check your crawlspace for whatever it is you want to

Or borrow my work clothes after one day. As that's not to far from what I do for a living and after one "good" day at work and my clothes are plenty dirty.

Matt

Edward

Bartender
I think the main thing I would add, having aged a few costumes myself over time, is to avoid over-doing it. It's all too easy to end up with the homeless tramp look, which is great if that's what you want, but can be OTT for the likes of what you want.

FWIW, I find that if you wear a white t shirt for a day, sleep in it, then leave it to sit in the laundry pile for some time, especially in the sun, and it will yellow wonderfully. Tea method is great, but keep it weak or it might look too much for your character.

For wear marks on trousers, I find a medium grade sand paper works very well - put them on, then slowly and gently rub with the sandpaper until it reaches the desired level of wear.

Eyemo

Practically Family
If you have time, natural wear and tear on costumes is the best way to have a natural look. But no production I've worked on will give you weeks of costume break-down time. There are also health and safety issues with certain natural products, oil, blood vomit etc..That why you have skin friendly products to simulate natural stains and effects products for other stuff.etc...The other point is, if you wear your costume for weeks on end to get that natural look...you'll also get a "natural smell"...Mmm very nice for the other cast and crew members..lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters