Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Pull Off a Look

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
ArrowCollarMan said:
I'll started with this: "How to pull off a vested look". I am very fond of wearing a vest with a suit but what ways are there to do it? Nowadays vests tend to be low-cut and loosely fit. The low cut isn't really an issue but the loosely fit doesn't look so good to me. Vest looked like they were worn tight.

You're correct as far as I'm concerned - waistcoats ( well I'm English !!!![huh] ) definately look better when they fit snugly. If I try and call to mind how a waistcoat should look, I always think of James Caan in the first 'Godfather' film ( Sonny Corleone )

Wild Root

Gone Home
ArrowCollarMan said:
Meh, on that pair the sole was peeling off the left shoe. They also wrinkle like a bitch! Shoes shouldn't wrinkle like that. Oh well. The problem is that price range for the shoes. If I were to buy it for that much it had better last me a couple years.

Oh my gosh!!! I couldn't agree more!!! Stacey Addams are crap shoes! I've owned two pairs and they were short lived. They're cheap and they wear out fast! They cost some money but, the construction is garbage!

I've seen better shoes out there, just need to start to look around. I wear vintage but, my vintage two tones are for special occasions mostly.

=WR=

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I got two toned shoes just recently! And a new haircut!

Happy now you crazy sons a b******?! :p Man, I LOVE that shoe! Kind goes into an older style...but it more reminds me of the early 30's than anything else. It matched an outfit I wore for my dad's graduation ceremony and party (got a new degree, hes going for a doctorate next).

I hope thats defined as a vintage look!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Um, er, yes, I suppose. I know you were joking around with your intro but, I may remind you that we do have standards to uphold. I’m excited for you and your new look and further finding a vintage style that suits you. However, please refrain from profane language on the Lounge. [bad]

Thank you,

=WR=

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I'd like to somehow get a good shirt and tie look but nowadays it seem impossible without making it look too dressy. Is there anyplace that sells maybe soft cotton or linen shirts and maybe "casual" looking ties. I want to dress "casual". I think it lies in the material but I'm not certain how to pull this off. Any help? :(

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Wowy wow wow wow! What a change, my man! I'm liking the new haircut AND the look! I really like the bangs.
Well, if you want to get casual, I would say get some oxford cloth shirts and match it with some striped shirts. It's not as much about the materials as much as how you wear it. Don't button the top button or roll up the sleeves.
If you're feeling adventurous, maybe even some self-tie bowties. I'm wearing a red/black/gold Brooks Bros. bow tie today. I had a vintage one, but wore it out.

Best regards,
Ray

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I was thinking more along the lines of material. Like a cotton or wool, nothing silk or coated with something shiny, not like the ones you'd find at department stores. I only have one and its a scratchy kind of cotton, thin, good for what I'm talking about, but its just plain blck. I wanted other colors and designs as well.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, even the 40's and early 50's belly warmers aren't fetching the cash... only if they have a very unique print or pattern they can get up in price if they're in pretty good condition... Salvador Dali ties will always bring in a king's ransom! But, the 30's and early 40's ties are soooo cheep because no one knows what they are! I was at a vintage shop here in LA (Jet Rag) and they have loads of great ties! They have little markers on the racks that have the decade they think they're from! It goes from 60's, 70's to 80's! And there are many 30's 40's and 50's ties in there! I picked out a few and brought them to the counter... I asked the girl at the register if she knew how old they were... she looked at me and said: Ummm, 60's? I mentioned she was off about 30 years! lol She asked me how I knew, I showed her how to tell, yeah, may have been a bad thing but, no one here wants that stuff as much as they used to. She was fascinated by the way I could tell the period they were from by the pattern and construction.

Arrow, if you want to hit the vintage shops, I'd be happy to take ya around some of the spots, I've done this for a few Loungers already and well, they always find something in a reasonable price.;) I know the spots to go for cheep stuff!

Let me know,
=WR=

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I don't know if you want to get caught in there, but Abercrombie and Fitch had some casual/preppy looking ties. I bought a striped one that I wear often. I would feel too guilty beating up a vintage tie.

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
Lookin' good there, Arrow. I like your rather, "less-conservative" approach on this matter. It's both refreshing and unique. In fact, it's probably how I would have gone about it if I were your age, again. Keep going forward, man, and never look back.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I just want everday wear. I'm all set for coats and really what I'm looking for is the slacks, shirts and ties. Its hard to find what I want sometimes. I'm too specific. I'm not terribly concerned about the vintage look though, just concerned about what looks appropriate to my tastes. I don't always like dressing the way I have to. Jeans don't work for everything and niether do t-shirts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou