Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to repair a fedora's brim?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
One option is to send it to a hatter, have the tear stitched, and have it reblocked with 1/4-inch less brim. The ribbon would then completely cover the stitching.

Not a bad idea if the hatter is able to pull the hat down onto the block using just a puller-downer (technical term) and not use the brim at all to pull down the hat. It was pulling the hat down onto block that caused my misadventure.

Last edited:

Alexander Church

New in Town
Feraud, you may be referring to this thread about what happened to my brother-in-law's Brent. The problem with stitching felt together is that it tends to come apart if you put the needle through too close to the edge of the break.

On the hat in question, was the break along the stitching for the sweatband? It looks like it isn't, but that could be a deception if the ribbon has been pulled up.

yes the break is along the sweatband

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Rodkins is right, Alex
And so are the other guys.
It all depends on what you want to spend.
If you want to have the rip fixed and hidden, the hat will have to be dismantled, the rip sewn, the body reblocked, the hat reassembled .... this is NOT cheap, especially because many places won't even try it.
Look on the Lounge for some of the really well known restorationists.

The other option is to take the hat into the nearest sewing shop and get the clerk to help you find thread that is as close to this color as possible.
Also get some really good needles.
Then, using the smallest stitches possible, and a lot of patience, carfully sew the edges together. It might sew easier if the felt is slightly damp, by the way.

Then use your money to buy a new, similar, and apparently larger hat.
Put great grandpa's on a hat stand and appreciate your heritage.

Even if you pay to get it fixed, how often do you want to wear an heriloom?

Just a thought,

Sam

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
This will be an expensive repair. If some hatter does take on the task. So I would ask your self how much you love the hat. It looks as if you where pulling down on the brim to get the hat to fit always a bad move. A hatter or Hat cleaner can resize a hat for you so that so much effort is not required for a hat to fit properly.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I recommend stitching it yourself and having a hat with a lot of story behind it. It's become an heirloom of a hat. I, for one, don't think it'll be all the worse for having some visible wear and tear that's been honestly tended to. Wear it till it's just a piece of lint.

:arated:
I recommend stitching it yourself and having a hat with a lot of story behind it. It's become an heirloom of a hat. I, for one, don't think it'll be all the worse for having some visible wear and tear that's been honestly tended to. Wear it till it's just a piece of lint.

It gives it character! Come up with a name for it like FrankenStetson =
PIC-0020.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Yeah, I have stiched up crowns, too, and had great luck with them ... and it DOES add character.

Unfortunately, I have also had to stich up a couple of brims and, while it DOES add character, it also adds a point of weakness that is never as strong as it was before it got torn.

Again, if this is an hearloom ... just speaking from experience here, it is your hat ... but if it is an important heirloom, it might be worth your time to fix it, hang it up and just go buy another hat to wear.

I've been there with a sewn brim and it doesn't take much stress to pull the stiches through the felt.

Just saying ...

Sam

Alexander Church

New in Town
I don't think (if I get it repaired or even if i dont) that ill wear it, its pretty old from late 20s early 30s and he had it all through his life until i guess he got old(er) and stoped wearing it.
The reason i wore it was at the time it was the only fedora i hat and i wanted to wear it one day to school and it was going all good by my fat hair ripped it. It would fit me now because the size is my size and i dont got that curly mess on top of me anymore. but ill prolly see about stitching it up than having it on some display. right now its sitting on a WW1 dough boy helmet, next to my wearing fedora that is on a ww2 german hemlet. lol good hat stands huh?

Jase

New in Town
Akubra Cattleman Misshapen Brim

Hi Loungers,

I bought a lightly used Akubra Cattleman on eBay not so long ago. When I received it, it was packaged badly and was soaking wet... Thank you Mr postman for throwing it over my gate into a pool of water :confused: The hat looked like it was kept stored on its brim... The brim was wavy and the hat had generally lost its original cattleman shape. Also, the pinch was almost an inch longer on one side than it was on the other. I've read and watched guides about steaming the hat and I've tried to reshape it myself. To no avail.
So my question to all you loungers is do any of you know any guys in the UK who could reshape the hat back to its former glory? Because I've pretty much come to the end of my tether :rage:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jase - professional hat restorers in the UK are a very rare breed. I think trial and error following gtdean's advice is your best bet for the brim. For the pinch I'd hold it over a boiling kettle then mould by hand.

-30-

A-List Customer
"For the pinch I'd hold it over a boiling kettle then mould by hand."
QUOTE: ManofKent.

From the Outside.
(Never steam from the Inside where this sweat/lining is.)

Regards,
J T

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello,

My daily hat has a brim problem! I like it when it is straight, but it had gotten weird :
rBzOcHYl.jpg

According to @EstherWeis it is made of Tonak rabbit felt with a " glathaar" finish. it's not really wobbly, it's quite thick
90Q3eqPl.jpg

I'm wondering: should I apply a piece of cloth on the brim and simply iron it? Having no knowledge of ironing, what temperature do you recommend (cotton, linen, synthetic...)?
Also, I bought a spray of starch last year. Should I make use of it? I'm afraid 1)- it damages the felt in some way and 2)- it creates some weight to the brim

What do you recommend?

Thanks a lot

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I personally avoid steam. Cool water does just fine for me and has very little risk or shrinkage. I would get the brim wet, towel dry, place it on a flat surface and put heavy books on the brim. Leave it for a day to dry naturally. If you want to maintain the flatness of a brim you may want to buy/make a "Scout Hat Press" do a google search and you will see what I am talking about. I have one for my scout hat but have used it for "new to me" hats I want to knock out its original shape.
hope that helps
Johnny

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
I see what you mean, unfortunately, there is no way I'll find this in France. it seems to be a vintage article that you can only buy in the US. yet it's very clever. It can't be that difficult to make. What does it look like inside? ? I mean is it just made of two pieces of wood with an articulation ? is the inside made of fabric to soften the contact with the hat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy