• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

how to repair tears in leather (horsehide oil pull)

Discussion in 'Skills and Smarts' started by photo2u, Jun 22, 2017.

1. photo2u

photo2u One of the Regulars

Hello friends,

I am carefully looking into ways to repair my Aero dustbowl oil pull horsehide jacket.

The damage appears to be torn in the leather where the leather pockets come at the corners.

They are located in the lower parts in both pockets.

I think in utilizing VERY CAREFULLY leather glue?

Any advice in this matter is greatly appreciated!
    George

RIGHT SIDE POCKET
    pocket dustbowl.jpg dustbowl upclose.jpg dustbow closeup.jpg

LEFT SIDE POCKET
    dustbowl close.jpg View attachment 77256 left front pocket.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  2. photo2u

This is how it look from a wide angle view. wide angle dustbowl.jpg

3. photo2u

I am curious, has any other person has heard of this type of damage?

Please advice,
    George

4. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I'm not sure this is damage. It looks like extended knife scarring from when the jacket was being cut and tailored. I've had that on other jackets made in other places before. I don't think it's worth worrying about. You certainly can't attend to it with glue.

Sometimes when the pieces of leather are cut out, the slicing is done with some enthusiasm and leaves scarring in areas not meant to be cut. It's like an over-cut and the sign of a hand made piece. But I grant you it is slightly annoying.

5. photo2u

I have to conclude the best way to repair the aerea is to restitch the area. The best method is to do a blind stitch job. I know Aero does a glue job in this area. However, the damage was at the production line and evidence is from prior repair attempt. However, It did not work.

6. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

As I said, glue won't help. Glue works for cosmetic repairs to make a hole "go away" with some filler. But you can't glue an area that receives stress and requires strength. That said, I am not sure this tiny tears matter. Do you think they will rip right open?