Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to trim the edge of a fedora brim?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I asked this question in an unrelated thread, but this would be useful to know, and might even merit a sticky (if I can get good advice).

I want to add a professional-quality grosgrain trim to the brim of a felt fedora. Is this something your average non-sewing joe can do on his own? If not, is it something your average seamstress can do? Or do I have to go to a professional hatter (or milliner)?

I'm asking because I'm a thousand miles away from the nearest hatter; but I suspect more than a few people here would give it a try at home if it were easy enough to do.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Problem is that means sending it across the Mexican-American border. Even worse is having it sent back. (Expensive, slow, and always the possibility that someone at customs will like the way I've bashed it, and wear it home.)

see Indycop's thread on his learning experience of brim binding. Trimming is fairly simple but the knack of getting the ribbon on the edge & stitching takes some doing. An accomplished tailor or seamstress (sp?) may be more apt to do it. Remember to get the right ribbon, not polyester.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Problem is that means sending it across the Mexican-American border. Even worse is having it sent back. (Expensive, slow, and always the possibility that someone at customs will like the way I've bashed it, and wear it home.)

I'd bet this wouldn't happen if you use Express Mail.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Definitely not something for an amateur at sewing to try. It's really something that looks far better machine-sewn so all the stitches are even and exactly the same. Trying to get that talent with hand sewing, I'm told, takes years.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
So, I'm going to get as good results from a professional seamstress as I am from a hatter?

(And Bob -- I use various services, with various results. Never predictable.)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Visigoth said:
So, I'm going to get as good results from a professional seamstress as I am from a hatter?
Let's see: The choice is between one who's done it thousands of times vs one who's never attempted it? Hmmmm.........Let me think about it.....:rolleyes:

Wil Tam

Practically Family
you can always wait til you're back in NYC or the states to get the job done ... or is the listing you put on your avatar fictitious & for show.... [huh]

Pduck

One of the Regulars
Kind of on topic -- has anyone trimmed a brim from one that has even dimensions to one where the sides are slightly narrower?

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Pduck said:
Kind of on topic -- has anyone trimmed a brim from one that has even dimensions to one where the sides are slightly narrower?

I trimmed my Gun Club Hampshire into a egg shape [wider in front getting thinner on the sides [huh] ]

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

----------------
Now playing: Dashboard Confessional - Saints and Sailors
via FoxyTunes

Mike in Seattle

Visigoth said:

No. Each has their profession and area of expertise. Each knows little tricks of the trade from what they've been taught and what they've picked up on their own. Can a friend of mine balance a checkbook and write up his personal tax return? Sure. But I can do it faster, more accurately and I know what questions to ask that may lead to additional deductions or alternate ways to report or account for certain receipts and expenditures.

I think a seamstress would do a far better job of sewing the trim evenly, smoothly and more professional-looking than a near-novice to sewing would do with the task. The seamstress' expertise is in sewing and tailoring. The seamstress could probably sew the binding on the edge of a hat, but she'll probably take far longer & do not quite as smooth a job as a hatter.

That said, the hatter's still (assuming the same level of skills in their respective professions) going to do a faster, better job because that's their area of expertise - making and repairing hats. While they know sewing as it relates to hats, they're not seamstresses. It's just like I'm not going to take a suit to the hatter for alterations, and I wouldn't take my hat to the seamstress...unless it's a last resort.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Perhaps the best compromise would be a ladies' milliner. I mean, they've done this kind of thing a lot, I imagine, even if it's not on men's fedoras. (And they definitely exist here.)

carter

I'll Lock Up
I've used mat-knives and scissors but never achieved a smooth edge. Then I won this rounding jack on ebay. With reasonable care, you get an absolutely consistent brim with a smooth edge. This is without using a block.
!BPGQFowB2k~$(KGrHgoOKjIEjlLmYd13BJ)9U-oQS!~~_1.JPG

A rounding jack is designed to be used with a block but works very well without a block as long as you are careful and patient.

Mike in Seattle

Just a question - maybe I'm misinterpreting the initial post. By "trim" - are we talking adding the ribbon to the brim of a hat? Or is it cutting down the brim? Cutting down the brim - THAT I might attempt myself. Sewing involved - no way. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters