Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to turn the worst hat you own into the star of your collection...

Corky

Practically Family
How to turn the worst hat you own into the star of your collection:

Fort Apache is the classic hat movie. As the fireworks explode between John Wayne and Henry Fonda, the central conflict of the film is symbolized by the battered cowboy hat worn by Wayne and the regulation issue West Point kepi worn by Fonda.

FtA.jpg.jpg

Fort Apache

Fonda expresses it best as his role as Lt. Col. Thursday: "The uniform, gentlemen, is not a subject for individual, whimsical expression. We're not cowboys at this post... or freighters with a load of alfalfa."

wayneHondo2.jpg

Hondo

The hat that Wayne wears in Fort Apache looks like the same one (actually, the costume department probably had several identical hats) that his character wears throughout the Cavalry Trilogy and in Hondo and in Rio Bravo. Other costume details tend to repeat from one movie to another in the Wayne canon. For example, Wayne’s character wears the same belt buckle in Red River and Rio Bravo, his same pistol and holster rig show up again and again, etc. He even tends to ride the same horse from one movie to the next.

2260-Rio_Bravo.jpg

Rip Bravo

A reproduction of this hat may be purchased from several vendors, but any new hat lacks the one essential quality of this hat: it is or at least looks like a beat-up relic of many seasons of hard use on the trail. A new hat (especially one priced at up to a thousand dollars) will never see enough abuse to look even remotely as cool as the movie hat reproduction that we can make.

Directions:

1.) Get an old beat up hat. You can use either a cowboy or a fedora, but look for the best quality that you can find. You want something soft, something that looks like it might have survived a few cattle drives from Texas to Dodge.

2.) I get rid of the band and the liner (but that is up to your taste) and in the case of these two hats, I have cut the brim to about 3 inches. You want one that looks proportionally good on top of your head.
b7.jpg

3.) Using water, steam, dry bash, whatever, work the crown to an open dome, then mold it into a diamond bash. You know the procedure.

b3.jpg

4.) Note that the front of the crown has a sort of wishbone detail. Place your thumb and fingers together on the front crease, with your thumb underneath and one finger on each side of the crease and firmly pinch together. Then extend the crease downwards.

w2.jpg

5.) Flatten out the brim and then roll the right side of the front up just a little bit and roll up the right side of the back just a little less. Note that the front of the Wayne hat is not rolled up directly over his nose, but seems to be rolled up a bit more over one eye. Note that the brim of Wayne’s hat goes down a bit on the sides over the ears and then gently rolls up fore and aft.

w7.jpg

6.) I usually replace the band with a narrow strip of latigo leather, saddle-stitched together with a piece of rawhide. Some people might put a cavalry band with acorns on the hat, that is not my style. I also use a needle and thread to secure the rawhide band in place with two stitches at the inside base of the crown, just above the bottom edge of the sweatband, one above and behind each ear. These stitches can be seen in the picture above because the white hat currently lacks a sweatband.

7.) The Wayne movie hat seems to have the magical ability to have the front of its brim be rolled up in one shot and to be snapped down like a fedora in the next shot. The actual hat used in the movies might have done this, but I suspect that different hats with different brims were used for the various shots, depending on whether the Duke was supposed to look noble or tough in each shot.

Required viewing list: (this will also give you an excuse to watch some of the finest examples of the Western genre)

John Ford's Cavalry Trilogy: Fort Apache, Rio Grande, and She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
John Farrow and John Ford's (uncredited) Hondo
Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That's pretty clever, Corky.

Me, I don't mind a beat up western one bit - but I do like 'em to get that way honestly. As far a shortcut to getting that look from the movie, yours is great.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Good job, Corky.

I don't currently own a vintage lid. It's been a long time since I've been able to find one that fit me well enough. Some of the one's I have owned certainly had a lot of hmmm...hmmm... character. Some would say that they were frumpy. So what. I thought my frumpy old hats were quite stylish :cool2: I didn't take very good care of my hats in those days anyway.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Great job, Corky.

I've always admired that hat of Wayne's, looked like the real deal and somewhat closer (not exactly!) to some hats in the old photographs from the depicted era. Considering that there was likely more input from wardrobe folks than from real-life hard wear, the only gripe (a small one) is that it looks just a tad "calculated" in the dents. A lot of the real cowboy hats look like they just sort of grew that way.

But your hat will acquire still more character with time.

Another western hat with character from movies that I like is the one worn by Burt Lancaster in the 1971 movie made from Elmore Leonard's novel - "Valdez is Coming". Can't find a picture, sorry!

- Bill

Wil Tam

Practically Family
found the trailer on youtube

Woodfluter said:
Another western hat with character from movies that I like is the one worn by Burt Lancaster in the 1971 movie made from Elmore Leonard's novel - "Valdez is Coming". Can't find a picture, sorry!

- Bill
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Qlu7MRHTVmY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Qlu7MRHTVmY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

----------------
Now playing: Sneaker Pimps - How Do
via FoxyTunes

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Caveat:

Fort Apache is the classic hat movie.
Only for values of "hat" limited to "brim wider than 3 inches".

The worst stingy- or wimpy-brim you own* probably cannot be turned into the star of your collection. Trashed-out western hats have character. Trashed-out nonwestern hats just look sad.

*stingy brim defined as ≤2"; wimpy brim 2"–2 1/2"

WOMBAT

New in Town
thanks

I do like the fedora hat but it really would not work here I use my hat for protection from the heat and the brime is good for keeping the sun out of my face

the other big thing is becase I lose cheap hats I decided to spend the money buy a decent one and that way I willnot loos it

I have handed my last aubra into the shop but I can say it was a mess after 15 yrs

hope you have a good day

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Here's another detail about the Wayne hat...

When the Rat Pack shot the movie "Sergeants 3" in 1962, Sammy David Jr. borrowed Wayne's well-known hat. Unfortunately his pack-mates had such a good time jamming it down over his ears for fun that by the end of the movie, it was no longer wearable. Wayne had to break in a new hat! Unfortunately, Sergeants 3, which is a direct take-off of Gunga Din, is one of the few Sinatra films that has never been released in consumer format. Occasional 16MM film sets appear on Ebay and sell for very high prices.

This falls in the same timeline as Rio Brave (1959) and El Dorado (1966), two movies which are nearly interchangeable aside from cast. However, in checking movie stills from El Dorado, by then Wayne was wearing a conventional western hat, not the cavalry-styled hat. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061619/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner