Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a 'Pert' hat

aylsarose

New in Town
I found a hat on Ebay that looks cute and in my price range and just wondering what the best way to wear it would be? They call it a 'pert syle hat'.
I have short hair just above my shoulder I usually put into pin curls. Love any suggestions you can share.
Not sure if Im allowed to show the picture they have on link

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I am not familiar with the term pert hat but the internet serch I did and the term pert makes me think of the small sailor style hats and pill box hats the were popular in the late 30's through 40's which are often called tilt hats because they were wirn tilted forward. If that is the case then I think those look fine with short hair, I have a few that I wear with my hair in a sort of late 30's inspired up do. I pin the back of my hair up and arrange the rest in curls that are pinned in place. I have short hair but it is corse so it holds that style quit easly.

Sorry I don't think I explained that very well.

aylsarose

New in Town
Picture

pert.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
swinggal said:
Hmm, still hard to tell. Looks like it might be worn dipped down towards one eye to me.

Exactly right -- wear it tilted on one side of the head, and dipped towards the eye. Best worn with a shortish side-parted hairstyle -- it wants to look perky and saucy, which was quite a popular look in the mid-thirties.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
help me please

Hi guys
I have a very dumb question..

How on earth do you get hats to stay on your head, particularly the ones that you wear at the back of your head or tipped to the side?
Is it with a hat pin? if so, what do you stick the hat pin into?

Thanks in advance!

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Claireg said:
Hi guys
I have a very dumb question..

How on earth do you get hats to stay on your head, particularly the ones that you wear at the back of your head or tipped to the side?
Is it with a hat pin? if so, what do you stick the hat pin into?

Thanks in advance!

If you use a hatpin...Stick the pin through the hat (obviously) then slide the pin under some of your hair then slide it back through the hat again. Just try not to stab yourself in the noddy- it hurts!
:p

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
You can also try attaching some elastic to the hat - some of my tilt hats come with it already but I know they often break over the years, so some don't. I think some of the ladies on here have tried this....

zendy

A-List Customer
Small loops of elastic on each side to stick bobbypins through usually does the trick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou