Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How 'vintage' is your name?

Which was the most popular decade for your name?

• 1900's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1910's

• 1920's

• 1930's

• 1940's

• 1950's

• 1960's

• 1970's

• 1980's

• 1990's

• Total voters

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
1900's >1000
1910's >1000
1920's >1000
1930's >1000
1940's 854
1950's 654
1960's 615
1970's 317
1980's 150
1990's 50

My name was the most popular in the 90's, which makes sense considering that's when I was born.
'Abigail' has been around since Bible times, so even if it wasn't popular, it was still a viable name.
On the other hand, my middle name, Ruth, was popular in the 1900's and 1910's.

Oh, and Abigail means 'Father's joy'.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
My first name, Lee, has experienced a slow and steady decline in popularity. In a few hundred more years, I suspect I may very well be extinct. :eek:

1900 - 74
1910 - 84
1920 - 86
1930 - 78
1940 - 94
1950 - 109
1960 - 116
1970 - 130
1980 - 149
1990 - 279

My middle name, Sterling, apparently has never had much of an impact on the world. [huh]

1900 - 403
1910 - 405
1920 - 394
1930 - 491
1940 - 449
1950 - 476
1960 - 531
1970 - 602
1980 - 494
1990 - 466

My names seem to reflect my life in general: Never really popular and always ranked in the middle, average. lol

Lee

Damn, I'm average!

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
MrNewportCustom said:
My first name, Lee, has experienced a slow and steady decline in popularity. In a few hundred more years, I suspect I may very well be extinct.:eek: My middle name, Sterling, apparently has never had much of an impact on the world.[huh] My names seem to reflect my life in general: Never really popular and always ranked in the middle, average. lol
http://www.birthdayalarm.com/NamePopularity.jsp?MID=964

I don't think Lee is such an average name. There are many non average folks with the name Lee. Lee Majors for one- the bionic man!, and what about Lee J. Cobb and Lee Strassberg. You got a mighty non average name combo with Lee Sterling!

My middle name is as dud. It's Sebastian, quite the 'vintage' name. All I have to say about that is, what were my folks thinking when they pulled that name out of the hat?
Thank goodness that's my middle name and not my first!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My middle name is my mother's maiden name. While its a very nice last name, its a boy's name basically, and that always bothered me growing up, especially since my first name was so weird and I didn't have anything more "normal" to switch to.

Jordanna Solomon. I betcha all meet TONS of those, don't you? lol

Flora

Familiar Face
1900's
1910's
1920's
1930's
1940's
1950's
1960's
1970's >1000
1980's >1000
1990's >1000

Looks like I'm a 1900's girl :D

Viola said:
My middle name is my mother's maiden name. While its a very nice last name, its a boy's name basically, and that always bothered me growing up, especially since my first name was so weird and I didn't have anything more "normal" to switch to.

Oh, I don't know, it has a certain ring to it--"Solomon" has a certain connotation of wisdom...;)

As for me, all such personal information is deemed CLASSIFIED for reasons of personal security, but I can tell you that the name on "my" birth certificate shows a sharp rise from the '20s to '40s, peaking in the '60s and gradually tapering off since.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Prairie Dog said:
I don't think Lee is such an average name. There are many non average folks with the name Lee. Lee Majors for one- the bionic man!, and what about Lee J. Cobb and Lee Strassberg. You got a mighty non average name combo with Lee Sterling!

Personally, I don't think it is, either. I do like my name, really I do. I was commenting on how the ratings for my names oddly fit how I've often felt about my life. lol I've only known a few Lees in person, one I know right now. And then there's Lee Meriweather (sp?), Peggy Lee and Lee Marvin. The Sterlings: Sterling Holloway (voiced Pooh, I think), Stirling Moss, Sterling Hayden.

My middle name is as dud. It's Sebastian, quite the 'vintage' name. All I have to say about that is, what were my folks thinking when they pulled that name out of the hat?
Thank goodness that's my middle name and not my first!

I used to know a Sebastian, and it was his first name. He was one fo the coolest gentlemen I'd ever known.

Viola said:

Jordanna, I've met a few (granted, VERY few) people with your name, but not with both names at the same time. :D But how about this one for uniqueness: Joelanna. (It doesn't even register on the site.) She was the last lady I did a fashion photo shoot with. How did she get her name? Her parents combined their own names; dad's first and mom's second. How's that for a legacy?

And then there's the family in the Bay Area that I delivered furniture to many years ago who'd named their son, Treg. They named him that to be unique. I later remembered Tregoweth Brown, sound editor for many Warner Brothers cartoons, most notably, One Froggy Evening (The cornerstone of the "J. C. Wilber Building 1892" is where the poor chap finds Michigan J. Frog, and later planting Mr. Frog in the cornerstone of the new "Tregoweth Brown Building, 1955.")

Lee

I like my name. It's unassuming, yet distinct. :)

MrNewportCustom said:
Personally, I don't think it is, either. I do like my name, really I do. I was commenting on how the ratings for my names oddly fit how I've often felt about my life. lol I've only known a few Lees in person, one I know right now. And then there's Lee Meriweather (sp?), Peggy Lee and Lee Marvin. The Sterlings: Sterling Holloway (voiced Pooh, I think), Stirling Moss, Sterling Hayden.
What about R. Lee Ermey? He just cracks me up on Mail Call and when he pushed Howard Stern & Co. around, although in-person he's someone I'd take very seriously. I think he's kinda having fun with people when he has the over-the-top act going on...

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
What about R. Lee Ermey?

I didn't mention him, because I didn't know he was yet another "Lee." (We seem to be multiplying!) I've only seen the show a couple times.

Lee

No. All us "Lees" don't know each other. lol

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Jordanna doesn't show up on the site, either, which doesn't surprise me as my mom took it from a novel...and then spelled it wrong. :eusa_doh:

Joelanna must be driven mad by all the same people who call me Joanna/Johanna. Both of which are nice names, but you know, not mine. :rolleyes:

Josie works, though, and people can pronounce it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Barry was most popular in the '50s but nearly the same in the '40s and '60s. With the advent of 'Friends', the name has a more derisive connotation but what the heck. I can always change it to Micah. (A personal favorite of mine)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Daniel

When my grandfather, my namesake, was bron in 1891, it was the 37th most popular name. Over the next several decades it declined furethr. When I was born in 1946 in was ranked at 21, but since the 80's it's gottenhuge, in the top 8 or 10 fot the last couple of decades. One wonders. What does it all mean??
The link on the first page didn't work for me, but I found this one:
http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

Josephine

One Too Many
Mine was most popular in 1984, most likely because there was a song called that. I never liked the song, too sappy and slow, but another friend said at least your 'name song' wasn't about a hooker. :D

zaika

One Too Many
if i read right, my name, Annie, was the 19th most popular name in 1907. LOL. it went downhill from there.

in 2006 it was 398th.

even in the year i was born it was 388th. that was 1977.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy