Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How warm is an Aero Half Belt??

majormajor

One Too Many
I need a warmish jacket for the winter (I'm in the UK).

I like the fact that the Aero Longshoreman has a sheepskin lining, but I'm drawn the the cut of the Half Belt Deluxe.

So how warm is a Half Belt with Alpaca lining? NO biking involved - mainly walking to and from the car. If I got one, would I regret the lack of sheepskin in the winter months??

All advice appreciated:):)

majormajor

One Too Many
You could try an Irvin if you want to stay really warm!

I know what you mean, Andrew.

But I'm looking for something less "overkill" than an Irving, and without a fur collar - I thought about an ANJ-4, but the collar is not for me:D

Dav

One Too Many
I've got Alpaca in two of my Aero jackets, one on its own, one overlaid with sateen. I must admit that I didn't think it was that warm until I received a Tweed lined one recently and noticed just how warm the Alpaca really is. If you want something a bit warmer than Alpaca on it's own you could always have the Sateen over it to add an extra layer, I did and it seems to work very well, makes it easier to slip on as well.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I've got a alpaca lined halfbelt with a garbadine overlay. Not so warm as you might thought. Ideal between 0-10 degreece celsius. If colder I wear my B-6.

But you can order a shearling lined halfbelt. I had one of these a long time ago, for me too masive, but they will do.

Olli

OK, here we go. I went to the UK/Scotland/France last year at the end of November. Part of the trip was to pickup the new 50's Half Belt Deluxe. The jacket I took there on the trip was my Aero HG-5, which is somewhat similar in style and used the same Oil-Pull FQHH as the HDB. The HG-5 had the Apaca lining. The HBD has the heavy Tartan plaid. I got to wear them both on the trip, which was cold and rainy and windy. Both had heavy drill in the sleeves.
The Alpaca was probably a tad warmer. But I give the edge to Tartan for style. I just tried to weight the HBD on the bath scale (which is cheap and not very accurate) and it's showing 7 pounds. Yeah, it's heavy, but it's also big (48 with added length in arms and inside strip).
Is it warm? Not compared to a B-3 or Irvin. But I think given where I was and how the weather was, it's preferable to a more winter-specific jacket. I wore a nice heavy flannel shirt under and a scarf. With a sweater, it would have been even warmer. That said, the drill in the arms means the arms are not as warm as some would maybe like.
If I lived there, I would have a tougher time between linings. Here in California, the tartan for sure is a more useful choice.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I've hd a longshoreman/sheepskin and a couple aero halfbelt types with alpaca. The alpaca is warmer than the tartan. Neither is close to the sheepskin. While the longshoreman/sheepskin could be your warmest jacket, the alapaca lined halfbelt will not be...you need something more for anything below 35F.

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
I have an Aero Long Half Belt in heavy horsehide as my winter jacket. The lining is medium weight tartan & drill cotton covered in Sateen for the sleeve interiors. It's my commuting jacket and I find that to be very warm and it certainly keeps the cold weather out.
I also made sure I had enough room in there to add extra layer like a pullover if I ever need it.
"How Warm" will always have a subjective answer. Depends on the individual & where you live (North? South? Coastal?), how much time do you spend outdoors/indoors with the jacket on.
I have an alpaca lining in my cloth B-10 and I find that reasonably warm down to 10 deg C.

majormajor

One Too Many
I have an Aero Long Half Belt in heavy horsehide as my winter jacket. The lining is medium weight tartan & drill cotton covered in Sateen for the sleeve interiors. It's my commuting jacket and I find that to be very warm and it certainly keeps the cold weather out.
I also made sure I had enough room in there to add extra layer like a pullover if I ever need it.
"How Warm" will always have a subjective answer. Depends on the individual & where you live (North? South? Coastal?), how much time do you spend outdoors/indoors with the jacket on.
I have an alpaca lining in my cloth B-10 and I find that reasonably warm down to 10 deg C.

Thanks for that. I'm in Yorkshire. Just snagged a FQHH Highwayman for the winter - and it sure feels warm! The temperature is due to drop to 5 degrees tomorrow, so I just got it in time!:D

Edward

Bartender
I have my eye on a shearling lined Highwayman some day... Have a B3, Irvin, and B15C/B15C MOD... Now I "need" a black jacket for dead of Winter... ;-)

majormajor

One Too Many
I have my eye on a shearling lined Highwayman some day... Have a B3, Irvin, and B15C/B15C MOD... Now I "need" a black jacket for dead of Winter... ;-)

I know I originally talked of shearling lined, but I went for the regular alapaca. I'll let you know in a weeks time whether it is warm enough! :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany