Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How warm is the A2 and M422 / G1?

the loco

One of the Regulars
In a Schott G-1 over a T-shirt, its around 0oC. I have yet to test the Aero M422a in fall/winter, the coldest I used it so far was around 5oC with gloves, over a T-shirt too.

Maybe somebody with more cold resistance could use them when its colder.

The difficulty I have with Rayon is that when the sun comes out, it almost welds itself to your back.

So Sloan, idea - wear a shirt :cool:
Seriously though, the mouton collar will make you warmer.
Both styles have knits, which seal out cold, but none of those jackets are cold weather pieces in and of themselves.
Good fall transition pieces, or if it's too large, you can wear a sweater under...

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
I'm currently trying to sort out an order with John Chapman for a jacket. OK, I have been for a while, but we've both been variously occupied with other things, and I'm the world's most indecisive person.

I'd originally been thinking about an M422 or G1 style jacket, but saw an old thread suggesting that they're not so suited to a milder climate. Given it doesn't really get much below 10 degrees Celsius (about 50 degrees Fahrenheit), I'm concerned about curtailing the window in which it's wearable.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Also, how does the A2 compare to a civilian jacket without the woollen cuffs?

For some reason when living in Melb it always seemed more of a chill to me than far colder climates (I'm an American and grew up walking outside into the snow and ice to feed cows) even though the thermometers in the back yard in Melb never got below about 4C. I usually wore either an A-2 or a Nomex CWU in Melbourne during the cooler months. The A-2 was also alright on cool summer nights too.

Edward

Bartender
I've always found the USN jackets warmer than the A2 type. This based in part on a real like for like - an AN6552 and an A2 both in the same Aero goatskin. The A2 has a breathable silk liner, the AN6552 the satin. The mouton is much warmer around the neck, while the rayon liner in the USN is much less breathable, so keeps in heat. I found the same when adding a horse ELC A2 into the mix.

Neither are really 'cold weather' jackets, though. I'd say both are just a little warmer than a tweed blazer, but if you want something warmer, you need a heavier lining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff