Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how wide is wide enough?

Richard

Familiar Face
Most authorities recommedn wearing a "wide-brimmed" hat for sun protection. How wide is wide? I was wearing a 3 inch brimmed straw hat the other day and it seemed to provide full facial protection till pretty late in the day like 4:00 p.m. WOuld the additional protection afforded by say a 4 inch brim be worth the extra brim? It seems like most hats are about 3 inch brims. is this what the hat world has generally decided on as a reasonable compromise for sun protection suring the main sun hours? why not 4? I'm trying to decide betwee a 3 and 4 inch tilley.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The most dangerous part of the day for sun is when it's at its highest in the sky- over head. If your head/face, neck and maybe, at a stretch your shoulders (if not covered by clothing) are covered- then you're covered.
When the sun is at a lower angle, there's not much harm.
When I was living in NZ 10 years ago, the worst time for sunburn in summer was 11am to 2 pm- burn time 6 minutes- pretty harsh but then we have the ozone hole down there to contend with. I'm sure it's worse there now.
A wide brimmed hat might be 2 1/2-3" or more, in the terms mentioned on this forum, but for sun protection, I'd say wide is as wide as possible.
If you're factoring style into the equation, then what your preference is.
How wide will you go?...

If you're gardening, staying in one spot or position, you might want a WIDE brimmed hat.
I guess it depends also on the specific purpose or the activity you're undertaking.
A 3" brim should keep your face and neck shaded all day.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy