Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HUFVUD HATMAKER | Lund, Sweden

My hat arrived! It was well packaged in a real hat box and while the cardboard was thin the hat arrived without damage. Inside the box, the hat came with a linen storage bag branded with the company’s name.

One touch was all I needed to see what all the fuss over FEPSA rabbit and hare blend felts is all about. This hat is incredibly soft and thin. I’ve never felt a modern hat that had a hand like this. The felt was some of the softest and thinnest I’ve felt on a hat; it would change shape in a strong breeze. The pouncing was even and nicely done. The closest “modern” hat I own that comes close to comparing is a VS made with a vintage Mallory hat body except the Hufvud is thinner and has less “body.” The brim, however, has more body and is slightly stiffer without being in any way too stiff. I’m not giving up on beaver custom hats, but I don’t think I’d rather have had this hat in beaver even if the price was the same. This is some wonderful felt.

The shape is classic #52 and the workmanship is all that I could have asked for. The liner is sewed in and the company name and established date is embroidered at the tip.

The sweat is unique and the hatter takes a lot of pride in them. They are deer leather and they as soft and very supple. My size, 61.5, is embossed in gold as is the company name and “Hand Made in Sweden Rabbit & Hare.” The fit is perfect “true to size.” The brim has a medium to light flange.

Mikael, the proprietor/hatter, did not have a name for the felt color. He said it was close to Winchester’s Natural so I included a photo of this hat on top of a Winchester beaver in natural; pretty close. I don’t see any tool marks on the felt and the stitching is unobtrusive and tasteful.

I will buy from Hufvud again, that’s for sure. My only small complaints are that he has a limited selection of real grosgrain ribbon (he offers petersham too) and his brim binding is way over market pricing. Vintage ribbon is a challenge for all hatters as there is a finite and dwindling supply of it. The brim binding is, I suspect, a product of the time it takes him to complete it since it is all done by hand. Brim binding is one area of hat making where I do not think you get a better result by doing it by hand, but the machine and attachment(s) are hard to come by and expensive. I get why he might charge what he does for it, but the top tier hatters do it perfectly and charge way less. My solution was simple: go with a raw edge.

I also need to say this one more time: I sent Mikael several email messages in the commissioning of this hat. He answered every one of them, and usually did so within just a few hours and sometimes within minutes. He definitely knows the value of customer service and he has great patience in dealing with customers.

Some of you know that I’m a frequent customer of discount custom hatters and that I’m willing to overlook small flaws due to the price point: this is NOT such a hat. Mikael may be young and relatively new at making hats, but his workmanship stands comparison to anyone’s. Like I said, I’m going to order another as soon as I can decide the details.

Winchester’s Natural on the bottom for color comparison:
e1c44ede7a1ea2f472b6fc5b291e1d33.jpg

41fe79712676735a7eb62b9702b90516.jpg

62812ddd641e3ab3ea0352583bd24aef.jpg

3acf86de0e35f3b2e1db62f1d6f64756.jpg

58df440efa8ae19b7c7d8ce1a399a1a4.jpg

5e2a8f351b1f39700b97ad57c87096f6.jpg

8c28485e911686025c11362b9348268a.jpg

db7a5f68e27e8459ddd08bebee5039ea.jpg

43a0a9f90a08e78776aff45e2289c909.jpg

ba6f253e27e3e4516e57ee01505aa7e0.jpg

bccef8e8dbacba3b2b6485a84a256280.jpg

9ab351b7a4a7640deeb0af9bc691ac66.jpg

I’m keeping the crease soft and organic as befits such a thin soft hat.

Specs:

Size: 61.5
Brim: 2 3/4” wide raw edge
Crown: 6” open #52
Ribbon color: Serpent
I also requested extra fine pouncing, but I got the impression he pounces all of his hats this way.

Thank you Mikael!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My hat arrived! It was well packaged in a real hat box and while the cardboard was thin the hat arrived without damage. Inside the box, the hat came with a linen storage bag branded with the company’s name.

One touch was all I needed to see what all the fuss over FEPSA rabbit and hare blend felts is all about. This hat is incredibly soft and thin. I’ve never felt a modern hat that had a hand like this. The felt was very soft and thin. It would change shape in a strong breeze. The pouncing was even and nicely done. The closest “modern” hat I own that comes close to comparing is a VS made with a vintage Mallory hat body except the Hufvud is thinner and has less “body.” The brim, however, has more body and is slightly stiffer without being in any way too stiff. I’m not giving up on beaver custom hats, but I don’t think I’d rather have had this hat in beaver even if the price was the same. This is some wonderful felt.

The shape is classic #52 and the workmanship is all that I could have asked. The liner is sewed in and the company name and established date is embroidered at the tip. The sweat is unique and the hatter takes a lot of pride in them. They are deer leather and they as soft and very supple. My size, 61.5, is embossed in gold as is the company name and “Hand Made in Sweden Rabbit & Hare.” The fit is perfect “true to size.” The brim has a medium to light flange.

Mikael, the proprietor/hatter, did not have a name for the felt color. He said it was close to Winchester’s Natural so I included a photo of this hat on top of a Winchester beaver in natural; pretty close. I don’t see any tool marks on the felt and the stitching is unobtrusive and tasteful.

I will buy from Hufvud again, that’s for sure. My only small complaints are that he has a limited selection of real grosgrain ribbon (he offers petersham too) and his brim binding is way over market pricing. Vintage ribbon is a challenge for all hatters as there is a finite and dwindling supply of it. The brim binding is, I suspect, a product of the time it takes him to complete it since it is all done by hand. Brim binding is one area of hat making where I do not think you get a better result by doing it by hand, but the machine and attachment(s) are hard to come by and expensive. I get why he might charge what he does for it, but the top tier hatters do it perfectly and charge way less. My solution was simple: go with a raw edge.

I also need to say this one more time: I sent Mikael several email messages in the commissioning of this hat. He answered every one of them, and usually did so within just a few hours and sometimes within minutes. He definitely knows the value of customer service and he has great patience in dealing with customers.

Some of you know that I’m a frequent customer of discount custom hatters and that I’m willing to overlook small flaws due to the price point: this is NOT such a hat. Mikael may be young and relatively new at making hats, but his workmanship stands comparison to anyone’s. Like I said, I’m going to order another as soon as I can decide the details.

Specs:

I also requested extra fine pouncing, but I got the impression he pounces all of his hats this way.

Thank you Mikael!

Nice details. That sweat does look luxurious, soft even in a picture. Nice extra details on that liner. I'm impressed.

Nice details. That sweat does look luxurious, soft even in a picture. Nice extra details on that liner. I'm impressed.

I’ve just asked him to send me photos of the other colors of the rabbit and hare blend bodies he has. I’m getting at least one more before the weather cools down. I’m also thinking about one without a liner as a transitional hat for autumn and spring. At my size I should give up on vintage and stick with customs.

RJR

One touch was all I needed to see what all the fuss over FEPSA rabbit and hare blend felts is all about. This hat is incredibly soft and thin. I’ve never felt a modern hat that had a hand like this. The felt was some of the softest and thinnest I’ve felt on a hat; it would change shape in a strong breeze. The pouncing was even and nicely done. The closest “modern” hat I own that comes close to comparing is a VS made with a vintage Mallory hat body except the Hufvud is thinner and has less “body.” The brim, however, has more body and is slightly stiffer without being in any way too stiff. I’m not giving up on beaver custom hats, but I don’t think I’d rather have had this hat in beaver even if the price was the same. This is some wonderful felt.

The shape is classic #52 and the workmanship is all that I could have asked for. The liner is sewed in and the company name and established date is embroidered at the tip.

The sweat is unique and the hatter takes a lot of pride in them. They are deer leather and they as soft and very supple. My size, 61.5, is embossed in gold as is the company name and “Hand Made in Sweden Rabbit & Hare.” The fit is perfect “true to size.” The brim has a medium to light flange.

Specs:

Thank you Mikael!

Nice,you have to be pleased.

Specs:

Thank you Mikael!

+1

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
RAGNAR FEDORA. The vintage style that is so simple and yet very elegant. The one I wear should have a bit roughed up look, like its been somewhere and has a story to tell. This one is a Rabbit & Hare mix, as so many of my hats, with a 5.5 inch tall crown and 2 1/2 inch brim.

View attachment 116075
This one is nice! I like it! 2-3 weeks to complete, huh?
Ship to Mexico City?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Specs:

Thank you Mikael!

I think I will order one myself then, Brent.

I think I will order one myself then, Brent.

I currently have six other customs on order, but I’ll place another order with Hufvud in the next few months. What a nice hat and Mikael was so easy to work with. He doesn’t offer the number of options other hatters do, but what he does he does great. I also like supporting new hatters.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I currently have six other customs on order, but I’ll place another order with Hufvud in the next few months. What a nice hat and Mikael was so easy to work with. He doesn’t offer the number of options other hatters do, but what he does he does great. I also like supporting new hatters.

Order placed, for the Ragnar.
He doesn't have this ribbon color in grosgrain, Brent. Is there a big difference if it isn't grosgrain?
44cfc405eff47db7f09e0b0e697bfaed.jpg
93021b5423411568ad7566bd3e1b4a5f.jpg
634eebcb3a2cd305fbc6a0c6eddbd73c.jpg
1bdae17fed3e2e4bb3fa7e083c7a58d8.jpg
daa5dec50eed2194a047c3603e26a423.jpg
d206b8b9dd29d86601dc5d5ff893156d.jpg
870ec3f481b0a2bd44a3900f6c33b46b.jpg
56928ee9a02209dd0f27470c03beea48.jpg
257eae2a82be8c0f3d64229631702cae.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
RAGNAR FEDORA. The vintage style that is so simple and yet very elegant. The one I wear should have a bit roughed up look, like its been somewhere and has a story to tell. This one is a Rabbit & Hare mix, as so many of my hats, with a 5.5 inch tall crown and 2 1/2 inch brim.

View attachment 116075
Hey, I like this color ribbon on the Ragnar! Is it grosgrain? I think I might end up choosing this one.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Max that appears to be Petersham ribbon on that particular hat.
Thank you, Bamaboots!

Yes, it is. I had insomnia last night, so I carried out a conversation with Mikael late into the night.
I have never seen Petersham, but I really like that color combo, so he is going to make the hat with the Petersham ribbon and put another, grosgrain ribbon inside the box.
Mikael says his Petersham is made in Japan, and it is not the made in China Petersham that he also hates. At the very least, I will gain in experience. :)
I really like his Ragnar model.

Order placed, for the Ragnar.
He doesn't have this ribbon color in grosgrain, Brent. Is there a big difference if it isn't grosgrain?
44cfc405eff47db7f09e0b0e697bfaed.jpg
93021b5423411568ad7566bd3e1b4a5f.jpg
634eebcb3a2cd305fbc6a0c6eddbd73c.jpg
1bdae17fed3e2e4bb3fa7e083c7a58d8.jpg
daa5dec50eed2194a047c3603e26a423.jpg
d206b8b9dd29d86601dc5d5ff893156d.jpg
870ec3f481b0a2bd44a3900f6c33b46b.jpg
56928ee9a02209dd0f27470c03beea48.jpg
257eae2a82be8c0f3d64229631702cae.jpg

I asked for that same hat, albeit with a 6 inch open crown, but changed my mind when he didn’t have any ribbon I wanted in grosgrain.

If you zoom way in on the edges of the ribbon you can see that it’s scalloped, and that’s really the only difference as long as the petersham isn’t nylon. It’s a very small thing, and if it doesn’t matter to you then don’t give it a second thought.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I asked for that same hat, albeit with a 6 inch open crown, but changed my mind when he didn’t have any ribbon I wanted in grosgrain.

If you zoom way in on the edges of the ribbon you can see that it’s scalloped, and that’s really the only difference as long as the petersham isn’t nylon. It’s a very small thing, and if it doesn’t matter to you then don’t give it a second thought.
As far as I know, it doesn't matter to me, but when I actually have it it might.
That's why I asked him to put another, different color, grosgrain ribbon in the box. :)

Thank you, Bamaboots!

Yes, it is. I had insomnia last night, so I carried out a conversation with Mikael late into the night.
I have never seen Petersham, but I really like that color combo, so he is going to make the hat with the Petersham ribbon and put another, grosgrain ribbon inside the box.
Mikael says his Petersham is made in Japan, and it is not the made in China Petersham that he also hates. At the very least, I will gain in experience. :)
I really like his Ragnar model.

It’s a good looking hat. I’d be very surprised if you didn’t like it.

The vintage cotton and rayon blend grosgrain that many prefer is getting hard to find. Some hatters also offer silk and each material has strengths and weaknesses. If even an aficionado needs to be within six inches to tell then what difference does it really make?

As far as I know, it doesn't matter to me, but when I actually have it it might.
That's why I asked him to put another, different color, grosgrain ribbon in the box. :)

You know, Max, you are in the perfect position to give this new hat a critical review. You have the best vintage hats and the best new hats (Optimo) so I’m very curious as to how you rate Hufvud.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
You know, Max, you are in the perfect position to give this new hat a critical review. You have the best vintage hats and the best new hats (Optimo) so I’m very curious as to how you rate Hufvud.
I figured that if I really like them, I will save a lot of money. They cost about 1/4 of an Optimo. And man, Mikael responded to my many messages within seconds!

I figured that if I really like them, I will save a lot of money. They cost about 1/4 of an Optimo. And man, Mikael responded to my many messages within seconds!

Mikael is a great guy to work with. I don’t know when he sleeps because he answered my emails immediately despite the time difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy