Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hula Hoop

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I've decided I want to get a Hula Hoop, if I can find one, to get in shape! Has anyone used a Hula??? Also, if anyone has any vintage articles or ads dealing with them I'd love to see!

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
duh who hasn't used one!!!!!!!!!!

i love my hula hoop so much i hula everyday. plus it keeps the weight down in your hips and waist.
umm 99 cent store in the summer time is loaded with hula hoops.
because im 22 i feel a little weird playing with my hula hoop.but whatever its fun it restores my youth abit.i mean the youth i never had.

well anyway i found this ad and its from LA Times August 21,1958 a year after it was invented.

1958_august_21_hula_hoop-1.jpg

Odalisque

A-List Customer
lol Last year, I tried to show off my hula skills at a family picnic. I hadn't used one in maybe 12 years and let me tell you.....it's tough!lol
Maybe I'm getting old but dang it, that was a short lived foray into childhood gaming. :rolleyes:

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Yes, I've seen them at every 99 cent only store I've been to. We got one for my daughter and she loves it. I can't hula hoop to save my life. lol

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
I used to be able to hula hoop so well when I was younger! Now... it's around my waist for about 3 seconds before it falls off. :rolleyes: They're very fun though.

Mary

Practically Family
And get the biggest one! Tigerlily, if it's hard it can be cause it's a kid's size. There has to be a lot of space between you and the hula hoop.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I love to hula hoop - it is like being a kid again. I got mine at the local toy store. Practice, practice, practice is all you really need to keep it going. It's a great exercise and stress reducer. I don't think anyone can hula hoop without laughing.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Mary said:
And get the biggest one! Tigerlily, if it's hard it can be cause it's a kid's size. There has to be a lot of space between you and the hula hoop.
I completely agree. With the child's size I can't keep it going at all. With the larger size I can hula hoop for hours. I love it!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Also check out a newer variation of hoola hooping called "hooping" -

"Hooping generally refers to artistic movement and dancing with a hoop (or hoops) used as a prop or dance partner. Hoops can be made of metal, wood or plastic. Hooping combines technical moves and tricks with freestyle or technical dancing, and is typically accompanied by music. Hooping describes the activity that unites the subculture of hoop dancers who practice this art, also known as Hoopers. In contrast to the classic toy hula hoop, modern hoopers a) use heavier and larger diameter hoops, and b) frequently rotate the hoop around parts of the body, other than the waist, including the hips, chest, neck, shoulders, thighs, knees, arms, hands, thumbs, feet and toes. All spaces both within and outside of the hoop can be freely explored. Modern hooping has taken cues from diverse art forms such as rhythmic gymnastics, hip-hop, freestyle dance, fire dance, twirling, and other dance and movement forms." (more at Wikipedia)

As the article mentions, many hoopers use custom hoops. There are people who can make them for you, or many make them themselves out of things like PVC pipe. Obviously, a heavier hoop gives you a better workout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy