Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hunters Hot Springs, Montana - Phony Photo?

Found online...

montana.jpg

People often contact us about this picture, so we've decided to add it to our photo page. We believe this photo is a fake--one of many fake Earp-related photos. There are probably quite a few copies of this photograph around, since someone has been advertising it in western history magazines since the 1960s. We suspect someone found an old photo and just put in names of famous western figures who he thought the people in the photo resembled. Whether he really believed it was these people or whether it was a con to make money, there's no way to know.

The first big tipoff that something is wrong is the date. If the photo was taken in 1883, then that can't be Morgan in the photo because he was murdered in March of 1882 and it is very doubtful Doc left Colorado from 1882 until his death. He barely escaped being extradited back to Arizona shortly after he and Wyatt moved to Colorado following the vendetta. If Doc had been taken back to Arizona, he probably would have been murdered or hanged. The Colorado governor saved him and it's very likely he was afraid to leave the state. He was relatively safe as long as he stayed in Colorado.

If we assume the date on the photo is wrong and it was taken when Morgan was still alive, we don't recall any record of Wyatt going to Montana while he was living in Tombstone from 1879 to 1882. If he did go to Montana for some reason, it's doubtful Morgan would have been with him. We also seriously doubt all the people this photo claims to have in it were ever together in one place. Plus, it should be noted that there are at least four different lists of names that have been attached to the bottom of this picture over the years. One replaces Morgan with Virgil Earp.

Also, while we are not that familiar with most of the people listed on the photo, we are very familiar with what Wyatt, Morgan, Doc or Bat looked like and we don't think any of the men in this photograph looks like them. But while all this may cast doubt on the picture, it doesn't disprove it.

Jason Leaf has spent a considerable amount of time researching this picture and is convinced it is authentic. He believes it was taken in 1886. While we don't agree with most of his conclusions, we do particularly like his comparison where he puts enlargements from the dubious photo alongside authentic photos. To us this clearly shows that none of the people in that photo are who they are claimed to be--with the possible exception of Roosevelt. We feel that's the strongest evidence the names on this picture are fake.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I agree with you. The photo itself isn't fake, of course. However, the names have been falsified probably many years later ... perhaps not as a ruse, but just sort of screwing around on the part of the prankster.

Richard

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Having worked in the archives of a museum and dealt with hundreds of old photos, I'd say that the photo is not fake but the writing is. The handwriting appears to be much more modern in style than the photo. Many photos in the archive had handwriting that was nearly impossible to read because it was so fancy and stylized, quite unlike the handwriting on this photo.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Winters were long, before television

"Hey Vern, I gots an idear! Let's label up this old photo of the town drinkin' society with a buncha famous names and sell it to the next city slicker for $20!"

A.R. McVintage

Ecuador Jim said:
...or maybe someone was attempting to impune TR's reputation?

The man loved the old west image of America. One of Teddy's older friends was, nearing the end of his life, Seth Bullock (of Deadwood fame).

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How could anyone believe the credibility of someone who did extensive research of the photo, believes it to be real and taken in 1886, yet it's a known fact that one of those portrayed died four years before?

I like Story's hypothesis best...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah the writing is probably the key. I have many photos from that exact era and I believe every one is written in cursive with no printing at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis