Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hunting with truly vintage Griffin & Howe rifle

Michaelshane

One Too Many
My mod.94 my dad gave it to me in 1963.My first big game rifle.
P1060303_edited-1.jpg

Short forend also.

Renault

One Too Many
Atticus, Most all of the 50's thru 1964 vintage 94's have the shorter forearm wood. I wanna say starting around '52 or '54 is whenthe went to that configuration. I can't remember for sure.

I have a wartime production 94 eastern carbine my dad won with a 50 cent raffle ticket back in the late 40's where he worked. It's a 1,350,000 serial number range. I speculate it puts it in '43 or '44 range. They did not keep records on SN's from '42 thru '48. Wifey is absolutely gaga for lever guns, she just traded for a very nice '94 eastern carbine mfg in '64. I will try to post pics of her lever guns soon.

BTW I worked on the absolute "Franken-Winchester" 94 SRC today. Gotta try & finish it tomorrow. It's just about plumb wore clean out. Has been fitted with a new barrel made out of a Winchester mfg 1917 Enfield barrel. Appears they cut off about 6 or so inches at the breech end to get the same barrel cotour as the orignal, threaded and re-chambered to 30 WCF. Good work but the action is rough as a cob. Stock leaves MUCH to be desired as well!!!!! LOT's of notches!!!!!;)

Renault

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Atticus, Most all of the 50's thru 1964 vintage 94's have the shorter forearm wood. I wanna say starting around '52 or '54 is whenthe went to that configuration. I can't remember for sure.

I have a wartime production 94 eastern carbine my dad won with a 50 cent raffle ticket back in the late 40's where he worked. It's a 1,350,000 serial number range. I speculate it puts it in '43 or '44 range. They did not keep records on SN's from '42 thru '48. Wifey is absolutely gaga for lever guns, she just traded for a very nice '94 eastern carbine mfg in '64. I will try to post pics of her lever guns soon.

BTW I worked on the absolute "Franken-Winchester" 94 SRC today. Gotta try & finish it tomorrow. It's just about plumb wore clean out. Has been fitted with a new barrel made out of a Winchester mfg 1917 Enfield barrel. Appears they cut off about 6 or so inches at the breech end to get the same barrel cotour as the orignal, threaded and re-chambered to 30 WCF. Good work but the action is rough as a cob. Stock leaves MUCH to be desired as well!!!!! LOT's of notches!!!!!;)

Renault

That "Franken-Winchester" sounds interesting. I too would love to see some photos of that.

Kirk

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab

Renault

For years, I wouldn't give used model '94s a second look if their forearms didn't extend two inches beyond the band. I just assumed that all post 64s had the short forearm and pre ‘64s had the long forearm. There is no telling how many good buys I missed because of this erroneous assumption. I didn't learn better until I bought the gun in my photo. I bought it thinking it would be my pickup truck gun. Upon closer inspection, I noticed it had some pre ‘64 attributes such as the retaining screw at the front of the lever. I wrote Winchester (there no internet in those days) with the gun's serial number and found out it was a ‘62. Until today, I still thought there were only two or three years of short forearm pre ‘64s. Now I know I’ve missed some good deals over the years!

AF

WH1

Practically Family
Back from Montana. It was a memorable 7 days of hard hunting in the Green Horn Mountains. It was grand.
No shot on a bull elk but did get a nice 4x4 Mule Deer with my .375 H&H Whitworth Express rifle.
Everyone said it was overkill but there was no arguing with the fact that one shot with a 300 grain Nosler Partition dropped him in his tracks.

Renault

One Too Many
Everyone said it was overkill but there was no arguing with the fact that one shot with a 300 grain Nosler Partition dropped him in his tracks.

A .375 H&H is ALWAYS a deer rifle, but a .22 Hornet isn't always a buff rifle! ;)!

Off weekend after next for nilgai!!!!!!!! Ranch owner spotted 5 in our pasture over the weekend!!!!! Woohoo! I'm pumped!!!!!!!!! I'm counting the days!!!!!!! In keeping with the thread subject, I WILL be hunting vintage!!!!! Prolly be decked out in my ever popular khaki too! (Even my kids all call me "Captain Khaki"!

Sarge, where are you hunting in Texas?????

Renault

Oldsarge

One Too Many
We like to go to Stoneledge Ranch outside of Junction. Some people think a resort is a place where you play golf and lounge around a pool. My kind of resort is where I can lounge around in a deer blind and take a winter's meat home with me! :D However, this fall we'll be returning to Wyoming for pronghorn. We'll return to Junction in the spring for the exotics hunt.

WH1,
Yup, a .375 goes into anything once with meat left over.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Sure is. And it's obviously German settled. Every little town has a place selling wurst and beer. What's really obvious is seeing hochsitzen one after another from the freeway as you drive through. Explains a lot about shooting deer in Kimble County.

Renault

One Too Many
I just got back from a nilgai hint in deep South Texas. First time I've been down that we didn't see a single blue bull. But I did score on a nice, fat 8 pt buck with my trusty (and extremely vintage, circa 1938) 9.3 x 62 Mauser! I suspect the scope was added in the 60's.
100_2078.jpg

More venison for the larder!

BTW, Hogs are back. Three in the bottom behind the house tonight, when we got home from town.....

Renault

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I just got back from a nilgai hint in deep South Texas. First time I've been down that we didn't see a single blue bull. But I did score on a nice, fat 8 pt buck with my trusty (and extremely vintage, circa 1938) 9.3 x 62 Mauser! I suspect the scope was added in the 60's.
100_2078.jpg

More venison for the larder!

BTW, Hogs are back. Three in the bottom behind the house tonight, when we got home from town.....

Renault
Those are some high scope mounts.

Renault

One Too Many
"Those are some high scope mounts. "

Hey Michael,

They are Swedish military mounts from their sniper rifles. They were very popular add ons when telescopic sights became affordable in the late 50's and early 60's. They are a short side rail detatchable mount. You can simply throw the two side levers (you can see them under the scope and thru the mount) and slide the scope off. They also allow you to use the open sights on the rifle. They are pretty true to zero when you re-attach to the rifle! I have a set on my Husky model 146 in 9.3 x 57 too!

Renault

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy