Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HWT on Mouton Collar

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Just curious of the end result. Has anyone done a hot water soak on a mouton collar to shape it and set into place? Good / bad / ugly?

Plumbline

One Too Many
It makes the Mouton go curly instead of straight ( which it ultimately will do with wear anyway) .... not a bad thing IMHO and makes it look much more vintage.

( Jacket was an Aero M422a) ... made the collar much more comfortable on the nape of my neck and made it look less "pointy".

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Risky. I lean to the view that HWT is Always A Bad Idea, but especially so when you're dealing with two different materials sewn together and which can't be guaranteed to shrink at the same rate, let alone predictably.

Peacoat

Bartender
Risky. I lean to the view that HWT is Always A Bad Idea, but especially so when you're dealing with two different materials sewn together and which can't be guaranteed to shrink at the same rate, let alone predictably.

+1.

There are other ways to reshape that don't involve hot water.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

+1 on the shrinkage. I'm always really cautious about HWT, even if it's just the collar, and in the case of two types of material, I imagine the potential for uneven shrinkage would be high. If your intent on moulding the collar, I'd go for bit manual softening and a few walks in the rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats