Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hypo-allergenic or natural hair dyes...

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I did a little search on this forum but I wasn't able to find anything on this topic... Hope I'm not bringing up any old news.

I'm wondering if any of you are using a hypo-allergenic and/or natural hair dye. If so what brand and what do you think of them?

A few years or so I started breaking out REALLY bad when I had my hair dyed or if I did it at home. Itchy, weepy, red scalp, same for my ears and the back of my neck for at least a week. I've been doing a bit of research and it looks like PPD (p-phenylenediamine) is most likely the culprit.

Many of the websites I've read have suggested henna-based dyes as an alternative to your basic drugstore dye. I've been using Loving Care and although it hasn't made me break out it's been a pain and expensive as its VERY semi-permanent.

Has anyone had any luck with henna based dyes?

SayCici

Practically Family
Lush has henna dyes that are pretty cost-effective. You get a big block, which, just like a chocolate bar, has those little indentations separating smaller blocks, and most people need to use only around 1 to dye their hair. I had a block that I never got around to using, but the reviews on Lush's website are usually pretty informative and there's also an LJ community for Lush which has plenty more information, or users who can answer any questions you might have.

Marla

A-List Customer
Do the natural semi-permanent dyes fade faster compared to regular semi-permanent dyes?

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
The last time I coloured my hair I used henna (like Zombiegirl my scalp reacts to chemical dyes too). The colour from the henna turned out quite nicely, but honestly I'm not sure I'll use henna again. It was so incredibly messy. Oh, and the smell ain't too great either (it's reminiscent of a horses stable :eek: )

zendy

A-List Customer
From experience, be Super, Super careful!
I had been dying my hair with the same brand since I was 13. By the time I was 19, I started developing hives and weepy scalp. By 20 I had to be rushed to the emergency room and injected with more than double the reg. amount of epinephrine. A couple years later I decided to use the henna dye. I did a test and waited more than the suggested time. I had no reaction in the test spot so went ahead and dyed my hair. 3 days later(seriously, I still don't understand the delayed reaction), my face was swollen up like a pumpkin. Now I can bleach, but stay away from any dye like the plague.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
zendy said:
Now I can bleach, but stay away from any dye like the plague.

I'm not having any trouble with bleach either (so far) so I'm thinking I'll go blond. My hair actually does lighten quite nicely I'm just, at least in my head, more of a brunette type of gal so I think that'll take some time to get used to.

I haven't had the face swelling/emergency room reaction that some people have had but from what I understand the reactions increase in severity with time and I don't think I'm willing to let it get to that point so no more commercial dyes for me. However, I might try henna as long as there is no PPD in it.

Lolly, aside from the smell :p , how did the color turn out on your henna? Was it bright or dull? And what brand did you use?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
lolly_loisides said:
The last time I coloured my hair I used henna (like Zombiegirl my scalp reacts to chemical dyes too). The colour from the henna turned out quite nicely, but honestly I'm not sure I'll use henna again. It was so incredibly messy. Oh, and the smell ain't too great either (it's reminiscent of a horses stable :eek: )

"Did you add olive oil, (To make it more of an emulsion) and Nutmeg ( to tone down the pong)?

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
lolly_loisides said:

Henna takes some playing with to get the hang of it. It's kind of "old school" in that it's not excessively "user friendly", but I prefer using it to chemical hair dyes. It's definitely something that takes a lot more prep and thought to use than regular dyes.

Yes, it can be messy. I always cover the area I'm applying the stuff in newspaper. However, you can control how runny it is by the amount of water you add to it. Also, when the hot water is added in, for a more powerful color, let it sit and "steep" for at least an hour, if not longer. It usually makes the mixture more of a paste than a runny mess. Then if needed, add a little more water when you actually apply. If you want a more subtle result, apply the mixture to the hair right away instead of letting it steep.

Some folk add different things to the henna for different effects: paprika helps perk up red even more. An egg is supposed to help condition. I know other spices, etc. are used, but I usually just do straight-up henna.

To prevent staining the skin, apply vaseline or a similar product along the hairline and back of the neck.

When washing it out, I use the kitchen sink instead of the bathroom shower because I don't want to clog the bathroom drain with the henna. The kitchen disposal catches the stuff and I'll run it when I'm done. I usually wash my hair with shampoo first and then do a round with conditioner. The conditioner really helps in releasing all of the henna from my hair. I then use an old towel to dry off with to catch the last of the henna.

Lastly, I plan to henna my hair a few days before any social event to let the color settle and make sure I get all the henna out. When I rush it, I end up with more to deal with later on, so I might as well take the time to do it right and be ready for the weekend or whatnot.

Hope that helps.

RD

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Red Diabla! Lots of great tips! What brand do you use? I've been looking at Colora but their website it hard to use as they don't show a swatch next to the color name.

LynnLaBlanc

New in Town
I'm a henna user because my skin is also very, very sensitive and the last time I used chemical dye it itched like you wouldn't believe.
I learned almost everything I needed to know from a website called hennaforhair.com, which will tell you all about henna'ing hair as well as different types of plant dyes. They also have a forum if you've got any questions whatsoever.

Drappa

One Too Many
I dyed my hair with henna from the age of 13 until I was in my mid-to-late 20s and never had a reaction to it. I sometimes put black tea in it to make it darker (you can also use the water from steeping onions I've been told).
I agree that it should be a paste rather than a liquid, but no matter what you do it is definitely messy. I actually used to leave it in over night sometimes and just put on a showercap and used old towels on my pillow. The smell is definitely an acquired taste, but I really liked it at the time. My hair was never as shiny or soft as during that time, because apparently the henna goes around the hair shaft, not inside like chemical dyes.
Mine was a powder my relatives brought me from Turkey (they sell it at markets there, but also in Morocco etc.), so I have no preferred brand. I do however have friends that use the Lush henna and like it.
The only downside is that I was going to dye my hair another colour after being a bit tired of having red hair so long, and the hair dressers told me I couldn't until all the henna had grown out, because it was incompatible with modern dyes and would turn my hair a weird colour. In Turkey it is often used as a remedy for hairloss or thin hair. The shade you end up with depends on your natural colour and how long you leave it in mainly.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've heard of a type of henna product that works just like a hair mask/deep conditioner and comes in a similar plastic jar with lid type container. Have anyone tried this formula?

I'd like my hair to be super, shiny, black but I'm afraid of commercial dark hair dyes because they contain the highest amount of DDP or whatever and with my sensitive scalp skin I'm afraid regular chemical hair dyes would eventually cause me to develope an allergy. I don't want blue black just off black or jet black. I think my hair is naturally what some call soft black. A mix of darkest brown and off black.

I usually struggle to keep split ends away when my hair's dyed and someone told me that henna is actually conditioning and that I could do an indigo treatment afterwards but I'd really prefer a natural or nearly natural product that goes on like a hair mask/deep conditioner and rinses out instead of messing with two types of powder. Yes, I'm lazy.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183