Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am impatient...show your Leisure Times!

citRon

A-List Customer
well, actually...the hat seems to look a little green too. -kinda New Year's Eve after-partyish toomuch to drink greenish.

Flieger

Practically Family
Don't worry citRon, the Regency Fawn Leisure isn't green at all there's just something weird with my photos. I'm sure you'll be very happy when yours arrive... and I for one am really intreagued about what you are going to do with your ribbon. :)

/F

deelovely

Practically Family
HungaryTom said:
Deelovely,

Wonderful family you have.:eusa_clap
Indy, you are a lucky man.
Who did that magnificient ribbon change, if I may ask? - The hat looks much-much better.
That horse... - is it a Guiness recorder Shire?

Regards:

Tom
Awww, thank you Tom! :) Indycop did the ribbon change, his first time! He did a great job on it. :D The horse is one of the Anheiser Busch Clydesdale's is all I know[huh] ...

HungaryTom

One Too Many
deelovely said:
Awww, thank you Tom! :) Indycop did the ribbon change, his first time! He did a great job on it. :D The horse is one of the Anheiser Busch Clydesdale's is all I know[huh] ...

Dee,

I think Indy has some great inspiration for creating some nice ribbon treatments - I am not talking about the Fawcett hat, but an understanding wife for his new passion - it is the best if an obsession is shared - even if sometimes there is some reasonable strictness - but the crowning event of the year the Remembrance came at the right time - Xmas.lol
So happy collecting and hat-hunting together!:)

Tom

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Will an Akubra Leisure Time brim hold a western curl?

For any Akubra Leisure Time owners out there: I'm thinking of ordering a black one, in order to turn it into something like Robert Redford wore in BUTCH CASSIDY, with just a slight upturn on the brim.
Do y'all think the LT brim is stiff enough to hold that?
Eyeballing the hat, I think the LT's 2.75" brim width is just about right. Thanks for any input!

2m68ysj.jpg

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
I think it would, mine holds a curve in the back that I put in it.

Thanks, ShadedDude. That's useful to know.
RE: an earlier comment above, just how tapered IS the LT?
And do you think there's enough hat for a 4" or so telescope crown re-bash a la the Redford hat?
Thanks again :)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Redford's hat looks taller than 4"....The specs for the Leisure time show it at 4.12", if you telescoped that, it would go under 4" for sure.

The Plainsman has vent holes, but already comes with a telescope crown

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Redford's hat looks taller than 4"....The specs for the Leisure time show it at 4.12", if you telescoped that, it would go under 4" for sure.

The Plainsman has vent holes, but already comes with a telescope crown

I'm figuring that 4.12" crown height spec describes the LT in its standard shape. Working with a half-dozen other hats and reshaping the crowns, I generally find that popping one back out to an open crown gains you at least an extra inch (or more) of height to work with. Is that enough to do what I want here? I don't know.

The Plainsman looks way too low, plus it has those vent holes (ughh) a bound edge and a wider brim (probably too wide -- I think the Redford hat looks like the brim is 3" or under). Actually, the Down Under probably comes closest in comparative dimensions (3" brim, 4.5" crown) and shape...but Akubra unfortunately stopped making it in black! :(

I may end up going with the open-crown Silver Spur, since I've already worked on two of those. I'll just have to cut the brim down, which isn't too hard to do. (Though I canNOT figure out why Akubra leaves the satin liner out of that one and a couple of other hats for no discernable reason. Anybody know where I can buy 2 or 3 satin liners?? Most hatmakers seem unwilling to sell them separately -- I've already asked a bunch.)

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
I may end up going with the open-crown Silver Spur, since I've already worked on two of those. I'll just have to cut the brim down, which isn't too hard to do.

Here's a Silver Spur I did for my wife. Other than the brim being too wide, the overall shape and proportions seem pretty close to the simple style of the Redford hat.

wqwvm8.jpg

2hrnwxx.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner