Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I give up...help date this Stetson Fifteen?

HatfeathersVint

New in Town
I've trolled around here for a while, soaking up whatever I can to beef up my man-hat know-how. However, I've let my fedora conquests pile up for too long and my mens offerings on my site are getting too thin so it's time to stop putting it off!

This one, though, is not helping my confidence levels. Enough hemming and hawing! I think I have a 40's model, but find arguments in every other direction. For all I know it could be practically new (the store it came from closed in '91, though!)...as I tend to get suspect of things in such excellent shape.
Details: Stetson Fifteen, 3X Beaver quality, oilcloth over gold round logo, wind trolley, grosgrain edged brim, round logo stamped on band, Karoll's Chicago and owner initials stamped as well.
Paper tag at back says: Price $15.00, O.P.S, Sec. 43, C.P.R. 7.

Brown-Stetson-Hat-3SM.jpg

Brown-Stetson-Hat-4SM.jpg

Brown-Stetson-Hat-2SM.jpg

Brown-Stetson-Hat.jpg

Your learned advice and opinions are much appreciated!

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
The O.P.S. tag narrows it down

to the early 1950's. The OPS (Office of Price Stabilization) was a federal dept that oversaw price controls during the Korean conflict. It was established in 1950 and was phased out in early 1953.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Great work Vic and Salty! I was going to suggest sending it to me for further research. It's a great looking hat. The felt looks luxurious and the box bow is very nice.

HatfeathersVint

New in Town
Aw, gee whiz! The answer was right there, printed on the tag, and I didn't know it! I would have caught something like that little clue if it was women's wear, but the OPS is a new one. Menswear is hard to date!
Hopefully I'll get it and the others up by this weekend.

Thanks guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes