Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I inherited this hat.

redavis001

One of the Regulars
This hat was my lady friend’s grandfathers and her grandmother sent it to me. It’s rather my favorite at the moment. It’s from “Macy’s Men’s Store” New York. It is Marked Supremacy on the band and on the lining. I am not sure how I feel about the feather. If you know anything about this type/class/topology/general arena of hats please let me know. If you have any other general comments please let me know.

Davis

CIMG0005.jpg

CIMG0006.jpg

Cool!

Looks like a rather smart fedora.

If you can take some pix of the liner and the imprints on the sweat band for us. These details are good to see and can help with some insights on the hat itself.

Matthew

New in Town
Is that...

I spy:

The Walter Kaufmann translation of Friedrich Nietzsche's The Gay Science.

The Daniel Conway edition of Friedrich Nietzsche's On the Genealogy of Morals.

Oh, and lots of good stuff by Umberto Eco, Barthes, some Horkheimer, a bit of Theodore Adorno, Foucault...

Hey, there's Eliade's Myth and Reality...

Are you a philosopher of the Continental tradition, perhaps?

Do share! Do share!

(Oh, and, um, nice hat.)

/philosophy major

- Matt

What is with the brass knuckles?

Fedora sorta

redavis001 said:
John, May I call you John? Would you call this a fedora? I am not so shure of myself when it comes to "types". I would be ever so happy if it was. Davis
Yup, it kinda sorta is a fedora. As named above it is a stingy brim and most people would picture a wider brimmed hat as the usual fedora but this still fits the bill, much more than a Bowler-derby or a homburg.

Feel free to call me John and i also answer to "Hey, You!"

Best wishes!

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Mr. Not-Bogart13,

Thank you for your information. I will now tell people: “It’s a stingy brim, it’s all I could afford, HAHAHA”

Matthew,

Good eye.
Yes my professor studied with Gadamer and Gebser. I am a semiotician, or rather am trying to be a Ph.D. as one. And as you know everything is a response to Hegel.

The knuckles are a cat toy.

That’s the best picture of Eco I have seen. I have a droll one of him at his desk in my “screen saver of famous intellectuals” nerd project.

Feraud,

Thanks, I just wonder about the feather. Seems well it seems like a feather and it seems at an odd angle. Perhaps it will keep the cowboy comments at bay.

John, AKA Hey YOU!

I do like how it looks on myself better than previous hats I have owned and I feel it is the smallness of the brim that I can attribute to that. Thanks for your info.

Twitch,

I walk to work at university everyday and since it is cold and clear I have been wearing it with my suits and my grey overcoat. I really like how this one looks.

However, perhaps you or the others could help me out because I fear the felt may be too hot for the 109 F summer temps here and I need to work on getting a summer hat.

Thanks all,
Davis

ideaguy

One Too Many
Nice hat, nice cat (brass nucks as cat toy?) and all signs point to you fitting right in with this bunch-Welcome!
and cool shot of Eco-if someone could Photoshop him pinching a salmon on his head...:D

hammed

New in Town
Looking for info on this 25 open road I just inherited.

Hi all,

Just recently inherited this stetson 25 open road hat in a Knox New York box. I think I want to sell it but don't know anything about it. Can anyone help me to understand what I have here, age, info, worth, etc...

Hat is almost perfect. see a very small stain on the band but that's it. doesn't appear to have any other wear at all....

Here are some poor cell phone pics.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Upload your pics to a third party site such as photobucket or flickr and use the IMG tags provided. We'll be able to tell you more once we can see it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Late 50's to 1960's based on the plastic on the liner. If there's a size tag in there, the shape of the tag can also help determine the date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran