Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a good rain coat

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm a little uncertain on the color or style but I'm open to any suggestions.

Price is also a bit of an issue, as I am not looking for something over $ 200.00 as I said before any help would be appreciated

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Mr Vim,
What kind of jacket are you looking for? Cotton waxed, gore-tex, PU, leather? Also, on what occasion you will be using the coat? Outdoors, hunting or to wear over a suit? For the outdoors I prefer ventile smocks. Expensive, but you might find yourself a bargain on eBay.
You might have a look on the Cabelas site to give you some idea..
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1
Good luck,
Andy

Mr Vim

One Too Many
andy richards said:
Hi Mr Vim,
What kind of jacket are you looking for? [/url]
Good luck,
Andy

Andy, I'm really not sure yet, I've been talking with folks who say because I'm a bit small in stature that I should have a belted raincoat, and all these other rules. I'm leaning towards a natural color and I neve thought to look at cabela's so thanks!

Javelina

New in Town

Naphtali

Practically Family
I have a LONDON FOG Maincoat aka "Bogie Special" with zip-in wool liner (USA manufacture) that I wore one time. While I am certain I will not wear it again, it is 'way too high quality to give to Goodwill. I am a 41 regular sport coat.

Edward

Bartender
I've bought and sold a few raincoats / trenchcoats on eBay in my time, and there are a few things I've learned....

1] If the cloth matters to you, kep a keen eye out for that sort of detail - some Burberrys are cotton, some cotton-poly, for example. The all-cotton ones are usually considered more desirable, but it doesn't seem to affect the price much (guess most folks buy the brand?)

2] There are a number of other makers just as good, IMO, as the Burberry - Grenfell, London Fog, Aquascutum being the most obvious ones. These are often to be had much, much cheaper than the Burberry simply because the brand names aren't as fashionable, it seems.

3] the single-breasted, 'mac' style coat is much cheaper buying used than the db trench. I've had a fair few, including Burberrys, for GBP30; a genuine Burberry db trench you're looking at least GBP90 on eBay in decent order. As a matter of style, I do prefer the db trench, however, I also find the sb macs more adaptable for casual wear, also lighter and thus more suited to wearing in the Summer.

4] Be wary of European sizing; I once bought a Burberry sb mac in utterly as-new condition, complete with flawless wool liner, for only GBP30...... only to discover that the "44" listed was an EU $$, which means it was actually only a 34" chest in UK/US sizings.

5] As with anything, watch out for inferior fakes being relabelled and passed off as "the real thing" - Burberry is the only one I've seen this done with so far, but it could happen with others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou