Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need Doris Day Help

shamus

Suspended
Does anyone know who Bobbo is? I found a tie at the thrift store that is marked as a gift to "Bobbo" from Doris Day.. any clue?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
ITG said:
Bobby Darin? He was married to Sandra Dee though.

It's possible. Doris Day's son worked with Bobby Darin when he was a music producer.

Other options: Robert Keith, with whom she made a couple of films. Also, Robert Cummings. She also recorded an "Annie Get Your Gun" album with Robert Goulet. Bob Hope, possibly.

Those are the big names, anyway. Could always be a gardener or something.

Brad

shamus

Suspended
true, altough bob hopes house is just about a 2 miles from me... I doubt Mrs. hope is donating to goodwill...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey, you never know! A good friend of mine found a coat dated 1947 that belonged to Bob Hope. His name is in the pocket tag! He found it in a Thrift shop in Redlands! He also found a photo of Bob wearing the coat as well.

Old folks are funny in a way. They don't think some of this old stuff is worth anything. So, they end up giving it away!

Root.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
She's still alive, so there's a chance that you could contact her and ask her yourself.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Brad -- Was the inscription on the tie or attached to the tie? If it was on the tie, it might be an autograph. If it is a gift, it could have been any number of people with the nickname "Bobbo."

I hear she had a lot of pet names for people and they for her, too. One of her nicknames was "Dodo." Maybe they were friends, Dodo and Bobbo.

Can't imagine why anyone alive would be giving away their gift from her to a Goodwill. Tony Randall and Howard Keep died recently and so did Doris Day's son, Terry. Can't imagine their stuff being sent to Goodwill, either.

Bet it was someone not so famous, or marginally famous.

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Good point KD. I agree with that idea. But, it's hard for us to understand why a tie or any keep sake would be given to a thrift shop. My grand mother met Harry James in 1945 and she dug up the photos she had autographed. She gave them to me knowing I was the only one in the family who would appreciate them. She didn't want them any more because they didn't mean anything to her any more. Funny as it sounds, famous people come and go and some keep sakes that meant a lot to some one may not be that important to who may inherit it later.

Just the way it is I guess.

Root.

Dahlia

Familiar Face
I'm a little confused... where on the tie does it say that it is a gift from Doris Day? If it just said it on the price tag, I would suggest asking how the employees knew that it was a gift from her. If there is a note attached with it somehow, I doubt that she would sign her full name, "Doris Day," if it was being sent to a friend... that's just my opinion, but I never use my full name with friends. I would have written "To Bobbo from Doris" or, as KD suggested, "To Bobbo from Dodo." Anything else is too formal.

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Bob Crosby?

It's hard for me to imagine Robert Goulet as "Bobbo." But she did sing with Bob Crosby's Bobcats--deoesn't that have a "boboish" ring?

According to the March/06 issue of Architectural Digest she is "Esconced now in Carmel, California, and busy overseeing her two charitable organizations for animals, Day looks at her showbiz years as another life, a life she has no desire to extend, which leads her to turn down movie offers, interviews, tributes and commentaries to garland the DVD releases of her pictures. Except for the delight she takes in decorating her house, exercising and playing with her dogs, nothing of her former life remains. The lady has moved on."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails