Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to know...

Al

One of the Regulars
...more about welting. I've seen hats with underwelt and overwelt, some have welting others to not.

Other than stylistic considerations, is their a more fundamental reason for welting? Which do you prefer? Welt or no welt, underwelt or overwelt.

Why? you may ask; welt, just curious!

-Al

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
A welt is there to add strength to the brim edge of soft hats. Stiffer brims do not need them. As you mentioned, there is also the stylistic component to them, adding visual interest to an otherwise plain brim.

Preference is entirely up to you, though many manufacturers today only do underwelts. Today's welted edges look pretty clunky, due to the thickness of the felt. Vintage hats with welted edges always had thin welts, and looked sleeker.

My preference? Gee, can anybody guess?lol

I prefer a Cavanagh Edge, which is an overwelt that is created during the felting process and has no visible stitching on the finished hat. It's a very streamlined look.

Brad

Al

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
A welt is there to add strength to the brim edge of soft hats. Stiffer brims do not need them. As you mentioned, there is also the stylistic component to them, adding visual interest to an otherwise plain brim.

Preference is entirely up to you, though many manufacturers today only do underwelts. Today's welted edges look pretty clunky, due to the thickness of the felt. Vintage hats with welted edges always had thin welts, and looked sleeker.

My preference? Gee, can anybody guess?lol

I prefer a Cavanagh Edge, which is an overwelt that is created during the felting process and has no visible stitching on the finished hat. It's a very streamlined look.

Brad

Thanks Brad,

Being new to all this, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

-Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80