Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Icons of Lounge Style

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Found a couple of Leyendeckers that I think encapsulate the Lounge "ideal":

jcl_kuppenheimer1920s.jpg

jcl_arrow_color_1907.jpg

Nice, huh? How about some others?

deanglen

Matt Deckard said:
My father wore Kuppenheimer suits.

They used to be carried at Sears.

Is that a bad, or good thing? Can't imagine Sears offering a Lounge Style Icon! It was the image more than the brand anyway. Leyendecker did Arrow stuff too and that's got to be posh compared to where America shops.

Dean

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
They were offered at Sears 'til the 80's

They should never have gotten rid of their catalog.

People looked at the catalog and went to the store. I think that Sears looked at the catalog as a money losed when they weren't getting orders.

It was a menu for shopping.

deanglen

Tony in Tarzana said:
Looks like the gent's wearing a corset under it. lol
:eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap I'd even say there's something
different about all the guys in the top picture. Both pictures have a female, but at least the bottom picture shows some interest in the female who seems to dress a bit Annie Hall. The guy in back looks distressed. Jealous? Hm-m-m-m.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I just think that the illustrations are showing the suit coats as being properly tapered to fit and be more flattering. It looks much better than the boxy stuff that sells today.
Even modern made suits from the Harris Tweed Shop have a taper in them, just not as drastically shown in the illustration. But, as you can see in the photo the gentleman isn't a waif yet the taper in the coat flatters him. Making him look somewhat taller and slimmer. Great illusion, huh?;)
glen-jacket.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
So what do you fashionistas ;) call the lapel on that blue suit in the upper right? I kinda like it.

I don't care if he's gay. He's pretty to look at, and there's nothing wrong with window shopping.

I'm all for the narrower waist though. I'm going to look at modern Harris tweeds now, DanielJones!

Phobic

New in Town
These are wonderful pics. What is that pattern called for the upper right-most suit? I love that style of striping, but have never found a name for it.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
Even modern made suits from the Harris Tweed Shop have a taper in them, just not as drastically shown in the illustration. But, as you can see in the photo the gentleman isn't a waif yet the taper in the coat flatters him. Making him look somewhat taller and slimmer.

I'm afraid a tapered jacket doesn't really come into its own when it's unbuttoned.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Phobic said:
These are wonderful pics. What is that pattern called for the upper right-most suit? I love that style of striping, but have never found a name for it.

I believe it is called a shadow stripe.

These looks are really much more 20's than Golden Era (30-40's). If I remember correctly, those Kuppenheimer ads are circa 1924-1929. My favorite year for looks is actually leaning towards 1929-1931 more than Root/Marc's favorite 1937-1939 period.

deanglen

skinnychik said:
So what do you fashionistas ;) call the lapel on that blue suit in the upper right? I kinda like it.

I don't care if he's gay. He's pretty to look at, and there's nothing wrong with window shopping.

I'm all for the narrower waist though. I'm going to look at modern Harris tweeds now, DanielJones!

By different I meant that I thought they looked, as Tony was joking about in reference to a corset, as if they had a slightly feminine appearence, not gay, but just not your typical men's clothes renderings. Leyendecker had an interesting life, and his own identifiable style. I'd love to have suits that fit like those in the top picture. You need a small waist, and broad shoulders. I like the bowler with the long coat, too. All the bowlers that have been posted lately are making think I want one, too.

Dean

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
deanglen said:
:eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap I'd even say there's something
different about all the guys in the top picture. Both pictures have a female, but at least the bottom picture shows some interest in the female who seems to dress a bit Annie Hall. The guy in back looks distressed. Jealous? Hm-m-m-m.

Well, this WAS the time period when women were fighting for the Vote, and she's definately dressed very masculine... he's probably not too excited that she'll win her cause in a few years...

deanglen

Lauren Henline said:
Well, this WAS the time period when women were fighting for the Vote, and she's definately dressed very masculine... he's probably not too excited that she'll win her cause in a few years...

I like the way she looks! She looks like a fun loving, comfortable with herself woman. Who cares if she voted for Warren G. Harding! He wasn't so bad, some of his policies made great sense! You go, girl!

Dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24