Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Identify this A-2

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This one is from the no name 27753 contract by Cable. It was their largest contract totalling 50,000 jackets so they often appear for sale. I guess the vet got it re-lined in black.

D

Deleted member 16736

Would be a good match for John's light russet HH. I'm placing my order for a Cable.

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
Hey Joel,
I purchased Cable Raincoat No.1 in goat from John a while back. It is the 42-10008P contract and you can see pictures of it on John's site. Compared to the Dubow 1755 I bought from you last year, it is a bit slimmer, which should make you happy. The Dubow is a 48 and the Cable is a 46, but tagged size isn't always the whole story. I can send you comparative measurements if you like.

D

Deleted member 16736

Hi, nice to hear from you. You don't need to send the measurements, but I appreciate the offer. I'm glad to hear the Cable is a bit slimmer. Do you have a preference? How do you like the Cable goatskin vs. the Dubow horsehide? I could always get the jacket in goat, too.

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
I have two goat Good Wear jackets; the Cable in the new Indian goatskin and a Dubow in the old French goat. I also had a Bronco in the old goat. The new goat is nicer than the old, although the older French goatskin was wonderfully supple and very consistent in grain. The pebbling is a bit smaller on the new goat, larger and shinier on the old. The new goat is supposedly more like the original WWII skins. The Cable is showing some more random grain patterns as it breaks in than the French goat will or does. The Cable was a little stiffer when I first got it from John.
Overall, I still prefer HH over goat, but they both have their unique characteristics and qualities. Goat wears better and you can wear it in warmer weather. HH develops more interesting graining as you wear it and will mold to your body better than goat. Goat just takes a beating and essentially looks like new, showing very little visible wear. HH shows the wear more and has more character (graining), I think. HH smells better, too! Decisions, decisions! That's probably why I have four HH and two goat.:)

Azegami

New in Town
Hi everyone. I have just joined the fedoral lounge. I have some questions. I am thinking of ordering an A-2 from GW leather. How long does it take for the jacket to be completed? Does John sometimes have a jacket that's already made? Is email the best way to communicate with him? Thanks!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Around 12-15 months at the moment.
John does have a sale page on his site for test jackets (exclusively in a vintage 46, fitting roughly modern 44), but you have to check regularly and act quickly as they are popular.
My current GW A-1 came through a similar route.
E-mail is best for John, Vickie generally answers the phone.
Good luck!

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone. I have just joined the fedoral lounge. I have some questions. I am thinking of ordering an A-2 from GW leather. How long does it take for the jacket to be completed? Does John sometimes have a jacket that's already made? Is email the best way to communicate with him? Thanks!

I'm sure you'll be very happy with your GW jacket. Yes, the best way to communicate with John or his assistant is via email, especially as you are in the UK. Not sure about current wait time, but John can appraise you on this. He sometimes has test jackets for sale in his size 46. If you are John's size, you can sometimes get lucky! There are currently several GW jackets for sale over on the Vintage Leather Jackets site.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero and most likely from their last contract, where you see some jackets with curved pocket bottoms. The post war green knits need to be replaced asap by the new owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy