Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could own just one Akubra, what would it be?

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Featherweight's sounding nice

I'm lovin' all the advice so far -- thanks, and keep it coming!

I've looked a lot at the brown Feds, regular and deluxe, and would immediately have snapped one up if my only other felt fedora weren't an Adventurebilt beaver in chocolate brown. As nice as the Feds are, getting just a brown "fedora" after the work of Fedora (with a capital first letter) seems too anticlimatic! ;)

I love the fawn/tan colors, as they go with more of my wardrobe. My only suits are dark blue and tan (just gave away my charcoal), and I'm more of a sport-coat kind of guy, so I probably won't get a fedora that goes too dark.

Thanks for the input on the featherweight options. They may come in handy here where it's so warm most of the time (today was 72 degrees).

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Don't fear a softer Fed

aliados said:
I had heard that the stiffener will wash out over time. Maybe I should simply "dunk" my Fed. Will the brim still hold it's shape when the stiffener has been washed out?

The shape will hold fine. In fact, it may get better. My Fed developed a nice swoop to the sides as the stiffener weakened. I could easily train the brim to it's original shape, but It looks so much better now.
NB

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The answers seem clearer now

Simon82 said:
I've looked a lot at the brown Feds, regular and deluxe, and would immediately have snapped one up if my only other felt fedora weren't an Adventurebilt beaver in chocolate brown. As nice as the Feds are, getting just a brown "fedora" after the work of Fedora (with a capital first letter) seems too anticlimatic! ;)

I love the fawn/tan colors, as they go with more of my wardrobe. My only suits are dark blue and tan (just gave away my charcoal), and I'm more of a sport-coat kind of guy, so I probably won't get a fedora that goes too dark.

Simon,
Since you have an AB, I'd agree with skipping the brown Fed. The Gray Fed is very dressy looking, and a dark Gray. You sound like more of a relaxed-but-classy kind of guy, so I'd recommend the Campdraft in the Fawn color. It dresses up or down easily. I've included links to my Campdraft and to my gray Fed, both with a similar bash.
Campdraft
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/micha...photos.yahoo.com/ph/michaelgarcia13/my_photos

Gray Fed
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/micha...photos.yahoo.com/ph/michaelgarcia13/my_photos

Good Luck,
NB

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I've been thinking about the Bushman. I'm looking a non dressy hat for cool weather with a wider brim that I don't mind getting a little dirty. It just might be the Akubra I buy first.

Selecting!

I don't own one yet but looking towards the future, I have my eye on a Federation Deluxe in a brown color if possible. They have others I like and hope to get some day but the Federation Deluxe is the focus of my desires.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart,

Thanks very much for the links. I like the looks of the grey Fed, as it seems to have a blue cast to it.

One thing I've gathered from all the thoughtful responses here is that most of the Akubras are good everyday working hats.

I now have a hat on order with Vintage Silhouettes (probably going to be an Open-Road-type, light tan colored), so when I have the extra cash for an Akubra, I might go gray (not like my hair hasn't done that already).

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been lusting in my heart

swing_smokyblue.jpg

for this smokey blue Akubra Swing w/ a 2 1/2" x 2 7/8" brim.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only Akubra I have is the Squatter.That hat has been great. Is it as good as a vintage or custom no. It has gone threw rain and snow and extreme heat and is softer than the day I bought it. It has great style and a brim wide enough to keep the elements off your face. I would definitely get another one . A pic for reference
DSCN1151.jpg
[/IMG]

D

dzacca

Does Akubra still produce Federation and Federation Deluxe? I found nothing about feds on their web site...

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Try Hats Direct

Hi Dzacca,

As far as I know, the Federations and Federations Deluxe are exclusive to Hats Direct (www.hatsdirect.com), an Australian supplier. I have not dealt with them, but they have a great reputation for service with very reasonable prices.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
The last I got from them took a little over a week to get here. The Deluxe I just bought will end up being close to $150, more or less, shipping and all. A standard Fed will end up being about a hundred, including shipping.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
DOUGLAS; I like the shape of your Squatter. I don't really like the Squatter much - plenty of brim but too little crown - but you really pull it off. :eusa_clap

SIMON; Yes, the Gray Federation has a great blue characteristic to it. It's quite nice.

NB

HLSheppard

Familiar Face
Hi am looking VERY seriously at the charcoal Banjo Peterson. I've been wanting to check out their Heritage felt and since I already have a Federation (regular) with a gray Adventurebilt on the way - it would seem a bit redundant...

The normal Fed fights for time on my noggin with the jem from Art. :D

Anyone else like the Banjo?

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
My charcoal Banjo has two distinct characteristics...it is seemingly larger than my formal sizing...about a half size larger - and - it also seems to have a "lower crown feel" than some very similar hats (aka: Leisure Time...which seems to be the same shape, everall.). Just be aware that it seems to fit just a bit larger than other Akubras of my collection.

HLSheppard

Familiar Face
I heard the same exact thing with regards to the Federation (that it fits/runs a tad larger than normal). I'm OK with that.

The "lower crown" feel just sealed the deal... I WANT ONE NOW!! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy