Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

if you don't like the Fed IV....

babs

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
That would be Royal quality type Stetson. Only having Campdrafts & a Squatter, I'd say the Stetson may have a slightly better finish than the Stylemaster but doubt significant differences.

... Nothing a little extra pouncing might not fix. :) Oh I just have to stop! hehe

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
memphislawyer said:
So, will I notice a difference between the felt on a new Stetson and an Akubra Stylemaster? Since the Akubra will be rarely seen with a suit, will it be okay for semi dress?
I had a lounger give me a detailed comparison between a Sovereign Stetson and an Fed IV. The result was that the Stetson was nicer out of the box and had a nicer feel to the felt, but the Akubra lasted longer over the long term and was more durable (especially to the elements).

babs

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
I had a lounger give me a detailed comparison between a Sovereign Stetson and an Fed IV. The result was that the Stetson was nicer out of the box and had a nicer feel to the felt, but the Akubra lasted longer over the long term and was more durable (especially to the elements).

From what I've read of the Akubra's that kinda sums them up.
Not exactly full formal finish, but very durable.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
babs said:
From what I've read of the Akubra's that kinda sums them up.
Not exactly full formal finish, but very durable.
But unless someone actually starts feeling your hat or has a very good eye for felt finnishes it shouldn't be too noticable. Certainly you should have no problem wearing it with a suit.

thomasrodd

New in Town
Pinnacle - nice!

"I have a new Pinnacle & yes you notice the difference in a 100% beaver felt & a rabbit/hare felt."

Yes, I too am enjoying my super-soft Pinnacle that I got from one of the Lounge's regulars. I thought the Akubra Sydney was nice, but that plush black Pinnacle makes me feel like crooked Jack Abramoff!

Dewhurst

Practically Family
babs said:
I picked it up on ebay so I'm not exactly sure, but I'm guessing it's one these:

None of those are particularly great examples of fine quality Biltmore hats. They are perfectly fine hats though, and have a lot of life to give. Last I checked the "president" felt was a budget felt? I can't remember now. I know that "Senator" is one of their lowest quality felts.

"Royal" may be one of their lowest quality felts as well. ARGH! Think brain.. think. "President" may be somewhere near the middle. (I think it goes "BOTTOM Senator, Royal, President, Canadian Suede, Eleganza, Golden Pheasant, Grand Beaver, Rosellini TOP). They may have some I'm not even aware of.

It wouldn't surprise me that those lower end (half) Biltmores would compare less than favorably with your vintage fedora.

Gusman

New in Town
Classified00 said:
I took it out of the box, snapped down the front of the brim, put it on and I was in business.

The Fed 4 seems to make more of a statement. It's bigger and more ... there. The Stylemaster seems more like it's part of an outfit rather than being the center of attention.

;)

Hi all,

I've recently received my Akubra Stylemaster and I'm quite happy with it. Like Classified00 I'm a little bit "concerned" the Fed IV might be a little bit "too much" for me. For now I'm happy with my Stylemaster..........

Regards,

Gusman ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot