Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you were told "pick one album to explain what being in love is"...

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
For me it has to be Mirah's You Think it's Like This but Really It's Like This.

I think I listened to the song "Sweepstakes Prize" about 500x a day when I was first falling in love with my boyfriend. The whole album sums up my feelings for him.

i think out of all the albums listed so far, this is my favorite hands-down. i love mirah!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Twitch said:
In Dreams: The Greatest Hits 1987 Roy Orbison's 20 best

I adore Roy Orbison--his songwriting skills, his voice. So sad he died relatively young.

On topic, I'd have to go with Brad's choice; Sinatra's Songs for Swingin' Lovers is hard to beat.

S

Samsa

Miss Neecerie said:
Two words.

Under Copyright.

Please don't offer things that violate copyright here on the Lounge.

Where do we draw the line? Half of the avatars people have are of copyrighted materials (i.e. images from movies, etc.). And there are countless images of movie stills that get posted all the time in different threads. I know this is :eek:fftopic: , but I've always been curious.

Snookie

Practically Family
"Ella and Louis", and a good runner-up is "Ella and Louis Again".

I think my dad gave me my copy of "Ella and Louis" when I was in 8th grade. Even though I generally enjoy older jazz these days, "Ella and Louis" is also my #1 Desert Island Album.

HAH! I just looked it up on iTunes to see whether it's available (it is...check it out) and it's been labeled a "Desert Island Disc". So I'm not crazy, it really is that good. :)

Edward

Bartender
Hmmn. I don't know, I don't think there is a single album that I associate with that. My pcik-me-up album when it doesn't work out is generally Never mind the bollocks, here's the Sex Pistols, but I don't have any one album or even song that I would associate with getting involved with anyone I've ever dated. Probably fortunately - I generally like my albums far too much to have any of them soured by association with somebody I dated and it didn't work out or was rejected by. lol

CharlesB

Suspended
Edward said:
Hmmn. I don't know, I don't think there is a single album that I associate with that. My pcik-me-up album when it doesn't work out is generally Never mind the bollocks, here's the Sex Pistols, but I don't have any one album or even song that I would associate with getting involved with anyone I've ever dated. Probably fortunately - I generally like my albums far too much to have any of them soured by association with somebody I dated and it didn't work out or was rejected by. lol
one of my fav songs to play when im in a quandry about romance is Save it for Later by the Beat

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
NO particular albim comes to mind, but several songs...

Wicked Game...Chris Isaak
I'm the Only One...Melissa Estheridge
A song from the movie "Blackhawk Down", "Gortoz A Ran - J'Attends" a song in Breton (the language), I believe a Celtic dialect. The words, as translated, and the music are haunting...

"I was waiting, waiting for a long time
In the dark shadow of grey towers
In the dark shadow of grey towers

In the dark shadow of rain towers
You will see me waiting forever
You will see me waiting forever

One day it will come back
Over the lands, over the seas

The blue wind will return
And take back with it my wounded heart

I will be pulled away by its breath
Far away in the stream, wherever it wishes

Wherever it wishes, far away from this world
Between the sea and the stars"

The video may be found here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQS6XQOhNh0

pgoat

One Too Many
Chris Isaak is indeed a good source for this. I am not a big video fan but he had one vid from the mid 90s, romping on the beach with some supermodel somebody or another - hotcha!! I seem to recall getting a little tingly watching that one ("uhh......honey?? are you busy????":D )

That reminds me: this one was always good for me back in the day:

B000002LH4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I am also a sucker romantically for anything brazilian, so this is a natural too:

http://bossanovaguitar.com/joao_gilberto/albums/getz_gilberto_1.html

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
The single song that explains what being in love is is "Speak Low"

Of course I've not actually ever been in love so I don't really know. I think I will give some of the albums listed here a listen.

Foofoogal

Banned
When a Man Loves a Woman.

I seriously want to play it at my brothers funeral one day. Describes his relationship with his wife to a t.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
This album will melt hearts, speakers, Ipods, anything. Make grown men weak in the knees and woman shuck their undies.

hartman.jpg

The deep, longing tenor of John Coltrane coupled with the velvety, butterscotch sound of Johnny Hartman. A short but totally romantic recording.

Warbaby

One Too Many
It would be hard to pick a single album, but to me the best love song ever written was Bruce Springsteens "Drive All Night".

"Baby Baby Baby
I'd drive all night for you
Just to buy you some shoes..."

Love doesn't get much bigger than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy