Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ike Jacket

Robbo

New in Town
This picture is supposed to be a WWII Ike Jacket. But I think it is actually from the Korean War because the sleeves do not end in cuffs. Does anyone know if they were different in the Korean Conflict? I had a Korean Ike Jacket in my 20's. It was a size 40 and of course I got bigger so it eventually was given away to a friend. Today I would love to have another Ike Jacket or a Bus Driver's Jacket in my size which is a size 54. I know that If I was to find one it would definiatly be an officer's jacket because they were all pretty big men.
I'm not really all that interested in finding an original but does anyone know of a site where I might get a replica? Or, a 50's style Bus Driver's Jacket....like from Greyhound?

OK. I'm also new here. I can't figure out how to upload a photo of the jacket. I'm going to assume everyone knows what an Ike Jacket looks like.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Robbo-

No picture was included.

There is a local vintage shop up here that has tons of jackets. When I am down there next I will take a look to see if I can find you either an Ike or a bus driver jacket. Ikes are very common and fairly inexpensive up here.

BTW - welcome to the lounge!!

archbury918

One of the Regulars
In WWII it was common practice to take a 4 pocket blouse and have it 'cut down' to an Ike style. A style that was copied from the Brits.
If that were the case, the original sleeves would remain intact. The Army didn't contract Ike jackets until mid 1944. Most didn't get to the ETO until Spring of '45 and became a common discharge uniform.
Not seeing the jacket of course is a hindrance for proper ID'ing the jacket.

I can say for certain that a quick way to tell the difference between an issue WWII and Korea era Ike's is the waist. In WWII they used button tab adjustments. Post war they changed to a slider tab.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Robbo, most young men in the military were post depression children so many were undersized for their age. It has been noted most had never seen a dentist until their induction exam. I check every Ike I see for size regardless of price. It is tough to find anything over a 40 and most are 34-36 which most of us wore in Jr. High. Case in point for undersized for their age.
Imho looking for a original 54R. WWII era uniform would be a waste of time. Look at the repro. companys that make uni's for reenactors would be your best bet.

winterland1

Practically Family
Photos are easy. Click post or reply and click on the picture with a tree on it. Then either follow this http://www.thefedoralounge.com/FAQ.html#photos
or upload the picture right from your computer. You can also copy and past the picture address if you do not have it on your computer or don't want to download the picture to your computer. Then past that in the url option.

Check out the JT10 model from Universal Overall Company. Probably get one less than $40 brand new

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

HeyMoe

Practically Family
4002-7.jpg

That is the JT10 jacket dh66 is referring too

Thanks for the help Moe. I did a quick ebay search for "vintage bus patch" and found enough variety to turn one of these into a good replica bus driver coat, besides blue it comes in grey and brown.

I know its a far cry from a vintage wool gabardine jacket, but 99% (or better) of people you meet day to day will not know and/or care. I have an older green one that I have worn to shreds and probably am going to re-up with one of these soon. It's great for kicking around in and you ain't likely to see anyone else sporting one, especially if you lay some patches on it

All Seasons Uniforms sells 'em online for $37. If they only had those old style caps to match'em........

Robbo

New in Town
thanks. I already have several of these jackets from thrift stores and once I ordered one on line. I call them Gas Station Jackets because well, that's where you see them worn. The Bus Driver's jacket I'm looking for is really more or less the exact same cut as a Ike Jacket. With the epulets and collar just like the WWII jacket. I have seen them in the 80's worn by real bus drivers. Never had the nerve to ask one where I could get the jacket :/

Howard Uniforms online has this official trailways uniform jacket, but it's 161&some change. You can probably find one similar at any commercial uniform shop that deals with fd & pd uniforms but they're all probably gonna be kinda high

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379552833137.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379552833137.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 361
No idea. Took a lot of searching to find these. No one seems to make this style any more, they all have slant/handwarmer style pockets. Dickies makes one like that unlined, but never seen one with the Ike cut.

I'm digging the one from United, but that price is a good chunk of a new leather. Gotta have priorities

pauleway

Practically Family
This picture is supposed to be a WWII Ike Jacket. But I think it is actually from the Korean War because the sleeves do not end in cuffs. Does anyone know if they were different in the Korean Conflict? I had a Korean Ike Jacket in my 20's. It was a size 40 and of course I got bigger so it eventually was given away to a friend. Today I would love to have another Ike Jacket or a Bus Driver's Jacket in my size which is a size 54. I know that If I was to find one it would definiatly be an officer's jacket because they were all pretty big men.
I'm not really all that interested in finding an original but does anyone know of a site where I might get a replica? Or, a 50's style Bus Driver's Jacket....like from Greyhound?

OK. I'm also new here. I can't figure out how to upload a photo of the jacket. I'm going to assume everyone knows what an Ike Jacket looks like.

When We were kids (many moons ago) there was an Army/Navy store at the corner of my street. It had all kinds of WWII and Korean war stuff in it. You could get an Ike jacket for $1.00, and if you took it back later, they would give your buck back! Sounds crazy, but that is the truth!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran