Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IN love with Pride & Prejudice (just seen the movie)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
THAT GOWN IS FABULOUS!!!! Oh my gosh, I am in love with it. You look gorgeous! What event was that? Is that a Sari? That's one of my favorite regency tricks.

Mine was from Costume College this year in Van Nuys, and the one with the bonnet was from a fashion show my guild did last year. I think I'm going a bit more casual to this event though. I would absolutely love it if you could join us! Daniel, and my roomate, and I are going. Its in Pasadena on the 1st. Here's the gown I think I'll be wearing, though I am going to take off the train. It just doesn't like to lay properly. Stolen from a member of my guild's website...
47208242.27.JPG

47208243.28.JPG

gotta love the huge hairpiece.

I was fortunate enough to go to this exhibit while in Bath this year. It was on Jane Austen, and a comparison of actual period garments with costumes from the films. If anyone's going to be in England, I highly recommend it!!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Thank you! I'm nit-picking, but I finished the gown 20 minutes before we left the house (ah, college...there are things I won't miss about thee!) so the trim around the neckline is only tacked on at the top and tends to bend. I plan to take it off and do a better job of it, and of course, the skirt needs to be seriously cut down.

I was going for a "Diana Villiers" look (hence my crazy necklace/earrings) -- I don't know if anyone else reads O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. I have a love-hate relationship with her, but I like her zestiness. Yes, that's a sari...royal blue and gold. The end bit (blanking on the name for it right now) is a lovely magenta/purple but I couldn't find anything to do with it at the time so it's still lurking in my stash.

The event was the Jane Austen Evening put on by Lively Arts History Association back in January. I had a really great time, the music was live and there was a lot of dancing to be had (though "more than one girl found herself in want of a partner" -- me included and I even brought my own date!).

Lauren

You would not be a true costumer if you were not sewing that close to a deadline! It seems to go with the illness ;)

There's getting to be much more English Country Dance events. It seems to be growing quickly in popularity! Here's a link to the Lively Arts History Association calendar, which includes Regency, Victorian, Ragtime, and 30's and 40's events.

Unfortunately, one of the big ECD events takes place the same weekend as the Queen Mary. Last year I did both, but nearly killed myself in the process. This year it seems to be the QM all weekend for me.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Gorgeous work! Is it a silk? I especially love the back, you've gotten the seams just right! Did you use one of Arnold's patterns?

I started with period impressions 1809 daywear as my base, but redrafted the entire bodice and sleeves because I didn't find it "daring" enough and the waist was SO low, especially in the back. My backseams are a little blah and the whole thing is not as crisply sewn as I'd like, but I blame it on inexpert sewing and tailoring and being utterly new to drafting.

I'm dying to try a regency corset (not like there's anything to push up, but a girl can try), but my muslin came out all wonky and I put it aside in despair. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the curve along the lacing edge in the back panels, but I can't put my finger on what's wrong. I also found the most darling roller-printed sheer cotton in a peach color for 1.99 a yard downtown, and I'm hoping to make a day dress from Patterns of Fashion out of it. I want the corset first, though.

How is the coat pattern working out? RHF is notorious at GBACG.org -- I've avoided their things like the plague. And I have no experience sewing men's things, so that's scary...

Lauren

Yup, both that and my 1790's are from Arnold. I LOVE her patterns. She made it so everyone could take a piece of the museam collection home. The yellow one is the drop front gown, and I think the fabric is a synthetic (got it off of Ebay). The robe I believe is a rayon or acetate, from the $1 store downtown, and the underdress is a silk shantung (also from downtown), trimmed with victorian or edwardian vintage trim I picked up at an estate sale. The printed day dress was indian block printed cotton I picked up on clearance at Joann for abt $2 a yard. Yay for cheap fabric!

I too need to make a regency corset. I'm going to draft up one from Hunnisett, I think. Vanessa made one at costume college this year. Maybe she can let us in on the secrets... puhleese?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Yup, both that and my 1790's are from Arnold. I LOVE her patterns. She made it so everyone could take a piece of the museam collection home. The yellow one is the drop front gown, and I think the fabric is a synthetic (got it off of Ebay). The robe I believe is a rayon or acetate, from the $1 store downtown, and the underdress is a silk shantung (also from downtown), trimmed with victorian or edwardian vintage trim I picked up at an estate sale. The printed day dress was indian block printed cotton I picked up on clearance at Joann for abt $2 a yard. Yay for cheap fabric!

I too need to make a regency corset. I'm going to draft up one from Hunnisett, I think. Vanessa made one at costume college this year. Maybe she can let us in on the secrets... puhleese?

Maybe we can get together and work on them. I've scaled Hunnisett's pattern up but the damn thing just won't close in the back. I know it's not too big -- fits everywhere else, but geez. Vanessa, help?

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Well...

$10

That's what it winds down to. If Hollywood were to make an, accurate, Jane Austin film it would bomb. The last two musicals released to the mass market; DeLovely and Phantom of the Opera (the latter being a ridiculous waste of $50,000,000) flopped in the box office, unfortunately the teenager (the age group I pretend not to be associated with in any way) dominates the "target audience." and probably forever will; unless another Humphrey Bogart enters the gates of Hollywood, and the chances of another Bogey appearing is about as slim as finding a modern Michael Curtiz or Sir David Lean behind the camera.

Alas...

When will "stars" be good actors again? Oh Myrna, Marlene, Bette... Humphrey, Jimmy, Carey... rise from the grave and take back the Hollywood that was so violently stolen from us.

Regards,

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner