Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Search Of: The Great Hot Dog Stand

Harp

I'll Lock Up
cooncatbob said:
There's a Vienna Beef Hot Dog stand in Santa Fe, NM around the corner from the Hotel Santa Fe, when ever I was there on business I stop for a couple Polish Sausages.

Chicago's best Vienna Beef dog can be found across the street from Holy Name Cathedral. Heavenly. :)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I got two hot dog stands I'd go back to. I've been to Pink's twice, but I don't go to LA much. I hit Kriebel's EVERY time I pass it at the state fair, I generally get through all 5 kinds of bratwurst on a good state fair day

Hot Dog Stands or venues: Pink's in LA http://www.pinkshollywood.com/
Mustard: The brown kind with Horseradish
and general toppings for a dog of discriminating tastes? When dining at Pink's, I had a bacon chili cheese dog (foot long) and a bratwurst with kraut and brown mustard.

Brand: Kriebel's bratwurst. They have German Sausage, Bratwurst, Polish Sausage, and Cajun sausage. http://healthymeats.net/
Hot Dog Stands or venues: Kriebel's Bratwurst stand at the Kansas State Fair
Mustard: Brown
and general toppings for a dog of discriminating tastes? Kraut.

I don't go much for hot dog stands since I own a grill, and can handle this on my own. Both of these are special. Pink's has the best choices in toppings, hot dog variety, AND they carried all of the flavor's of Crush (Orange, Strawberry, Grape, and a couple others). Kriebel's has the best choice in sausage types.

There's a place in Minneapolis that has even more sausage types. One of the engineer's I work with used to bring back 10 or 20 pounds for ground hog's day (get it?). http://www.kramarczuk.com/

Later Y'all

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A dog and cheese fries from the Wiener Circle in Chicago :essen: :

3030597182_209e5fc6ff.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
A dog and cheese fries from the Wiener Circle

Dammit Tomasso, I'm supposed to be getting all you can eat BBQ ribs with garlic Cole Slaw tomorrow for lunch, now I NEED chili cheese fries from Bionic Burger. My arteries were getting clear and EVERYTHING.

:rage:

Later

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
When I still lived in Connecticut, I loved the hot dogs at Capitol Lunch on Main Street in New Britain. Haven't had one in years, but they used to be fantastic...maybe next time I go back for a visit I'll see if they hold up to my memory. Always dangerous...

rumblefish

One Too Many
I love the frankfurters that come from the German butchers. Our local guys do a great job, like Forest Pork Store, and in a pinch, Karl Ehmer's will do. I don't see Shaller & Weber anymore, they used to make a nice set of links.
As far as a hot dog stand, I haven't found a really good one, and some of the one I've been to are somewhat awful.

rumblefish said:
I love the frankfurters that come from the German butchers. Our local guys do a great job, like Forest Pork Store, and in a pinch, Karl Ehmer's will do. I don't see Shaller & Weber anymore, they used to make a nice set of links. As far as a hot dog stand, I aven't found a really good one, and some of the one I've been to are somewhat awful.

I used to go to a Karl Ehmers shop on the main street in Lindenhurst for sausages to grill in the summer.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Fabs Hot Dogs in LA Valley has an interesting menu. Blows Pink's out of the water in all categories besides fame, in my opinion, but I think Pink's has always been a bit over (or under) my head.

That said, if I'm eating a hot dog in LA, it's probably at Dodger Stadium, and that has nothing to do with taste. (The last great hot dog stand is every baseball park.)

My Northside Chicago dad would spite me if I didn't agree with anyone who said Vienna Beef is the best for dogs. He's taken me to Hot Dog Island many times (in Skokie?) and I can attest that it is more than delicious (which I cannot say about Gray's Papaya).

My college days will also make me forever endearing to Berkeley's "Top Dog" as well.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Feraud said:
I really enjoyed the hot dogs at Shake Shack but the long lines can be discouraging.
They're opening two more stores this Summer , maybe that will shorten the lines.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Miss Neecerie said:
to see whether they agree with your choices

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-34869737

The Wieners Circle, Chicago

"Don’t be fooled by its shabby appearance. When Danny Meyer was developing the Shake Shack menu, he turned to this 1980s strip-mall relic for frankfurter inspiration. And these char-grilled jobs remain Meyer’s favorite bun-pocketed specimens outside New York"

He's a smart guy, that Danny Meyer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner