Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"In the family way..."

GingerDoll

New in Town
Hello Ladies!

I'm seeking your wise advice. I've recently found that my love and I will have a little addition to our family come April. Now that I'm about 10 weeks along, and thickening through the middle, my cute vintage skirts are going into cold storage (except for the Dancestore.com stretchy dance skirts) and I'm trolling E-bay for vintage maternity wear as well as inspiring patterns and images. But drat!, there are so few preggo's in golden era film that I'm high and dry for inspiration.

So far 50's style swing jackets look tempting, but I'm afraid I'll look as big as a house!

Any tips for looking retro-maternity-fabulous? I can't be the only doll in the family way!

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Congratulations, GingerDoll!

Now to answer your question. (Boy, the guys are no help with this...)

I'm not into e-shopping, so, I can't say anything in that area, but I would suggest that you look up reproductions of the Sears catalogues. I have a couple on hand, one from late '50s, the other early '60s, and both have a few pages of maternity wear. Basically, they are two piece affairs, the tops coverning your hips, and skirt or pants. If you don't want to stress your growing waistline, then I would also suggest high-waisted dresses. The high waist and belt will draw the attention away from your full figure, and the loose skirt will be easy on you also.

I was in the family way a few decades ago, and for the most part, I don't think maternity wear has changed all that much. You should keep in mind though, if you find style and practicality is at a conflict, this is one time in your life that you should be practical first, for the coming baby and for yourself, so you can get your figure back easily after you've introduced the new member to the world.

Good luck, and here's to a cute mom-to-be, and the baby- to be!
LOL LOL

Quiet Place

New in Town
Vintage Maternity Wear

Sorry I'm late with this, GingerDoll! I had to wait to be admitted to this fine group! LOL

Congratulations! I would love to hear more about your pregnancy, how far along, have you had an ultrasound yet? I also am pregnant (with my third child), but I am only 5 or 6 weeks along.

I wanted to answer your question about what pregnant women wear. I read an article last year where women were confessing to their favorite things to wear while pregnant. One woman said she loved to wear large vintage slips, bias cut, because they were very comfortable and sexy, too. You might want to try it, but I never could see wearing such a thing in public. :eek:

Right now you may be concerned about what makes you like "big", but girl... eventually you'll just worry about feeling good. Near the end of my pregnancies (past) I've always worn the same dress over and over. It's lightwieght, high waisted.

So:
Large vintage slips for a sexier feel,

Large dresses, light weight, with empire waist.

COMFORTABLE SHOES! :)

Good luck!
-Quiet Place

GingerDoll

New in Town
Hello again and thank you all for your good wishes and advice!

Congrats, QP, on your good news. I'll be 15 weeks along as of 10/21. I'm an OB/GYN myself, so I have nearly constant access to an ultrasound machine. It's taken a great deal of self control to limit myself to ultrasound-ing the bean no more than once a week or so. We are 85% certain that it's a boy.

As for fashion, (sigh) I'm willing to accept comfortable, functional, miracle modern stretchy clothes for now. I did manage to find images of Rita Hayworth during her pregnancy (in 1945, caught on film in Tonight and Every Night), so now I'll focus on staying very healthy with a postpartum goal of looking like Gilda.

Oh yes, and can anybody explain to me those vintage maternity skirts with a big U cut out in the front? Did ladies really wear them with a big (naked!) belly just covered by the long tunic top?

Thank you!
Zoe

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Oh yes, and can anybody explain to me those vintage maternity skirts with a big U cut out in the front? Did ladies really wear them with a big (naked!) belly just covered by the long tunic top?

At least. that's what the explanation in the Sears catalogue reproduction says...
"Leaving the enlarged belly exposed"...
Now that you mention it, it does sound kind of weird, considering you certainly would want to protect and support the belly as it gets bigger and heavier.
I'm going to have to ask my mother if she recalls anything...

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
Hey Gingerdoll,

I know it's a bit past the era you're aiming for, but Lucille Ball wore some adorable maternity outfits in the '50s when she was toting Little Ricky. Big A-shaped tunic tops with even bigger bows, paired with slim capri pants and ballet flats. Super cute--especially if you do your hair up in retro curls.

Aside from that, I agree that an empire-waist dress (perhaps with a sweetheart neckline) in a drapy silk or gabardine would likely look like what pregnant women wore in the '40s. My guess is, it's pretty comfortable, too.

Here's a thought: Drop a line to Annamarie Firley at Revamp Vintage and see if she has any thoughts. She's a vintage clothing expert, and perhaps she can custom-make you a couple of outfits. The URL is http://www.revampvintage.com.

Hugs & blessings,
The Bingstress

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Vintage Maternity Clothing

Hi! I'm new all...

Thought you might want to check out Ebay for vintage maternity patterns. I'm browsing the patterns all the time, and there seems to be quite a few maternity clothing patterns. The category is in Collectables- Vintage Sewing- Patterns- Women's Patterns. Just make sure it says "All pieces and instructions included" or something along those lines. If you don't know how to sew yourself, I'm sure you could find a seamstress to sew one up for you. Take your measurements and match them up to the pattern measurements, as the pattern sizes are different than modern readymade clothing sizes. It usually goes by bust measurements for maternity with the sizes vintage patterns from the 30's to the early-mid 50's being as follows:
12- 30"
14- 32"
16- 34"
18 or 36- 36"
20 or 38- 38"
In the mid-late 50's I know the sizes changed, but I don't know the measurements for those ones. Hope this helps :)
Lauren

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
That's a great idea, Lauren! Thanks for the tip.

Someday when I get pregnant, I'm going to learn how to sew little bitty bowling shirts for my baby. :wink:

Hugs & blessings,
The Bingstress

JiveAngel

New in Town
Hi Ladies,
Found this old thread. I've got vintage maternity clothes on the brain lately.

During a recent quest for vintage jeans I purchased a pair of vintage maternity jeans. They are very cool. They are constructed sort of like sailor pants with two flaps that come in from the sides and tie together in the front, and a center flap which closes with two zippers at the top. The whole thing is very adjustable. Right now they fit me perfectly in the farthest closed position.

I'm not expecting. Yet. I am hoping to be by this time next year. Finding these jeans, combined with thoughts of "will I have occasion to wear this before I get pregnant" every time I look at some fabulous vintage piece, has got me thinking I should start keeping an eye out for vintage maternity in hopes of having a few things to wear when the time comes.

GingerDoll, how is the new Mom? Can you, or any one, offer any suggestions from your recent quest for vintage maternity?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hello and congrats!! I just had my baby in April.. Thank goodness you're not reallllly pregnant during the summer.

THis might help you if you can still get into your old pants, (I couldn't get my thighs in so I couldn't wear them!)
http://www.bellaband.com/bellaband.html

Here's a nice maternity suit, http://vintagevanitiesclothing.com/4-127.htm
red dress, http://vintagevanitiesclothing.com/4-235.htm
a maternity girdle, http://www.dollhousevintage.com/asp/item.asp?id=1342
vintage patterns, http://www.grandmashouse.ws/patterns/VintageMaternity.html

If you sew or have someone sew, you could always adapt a more tailored look to a modern maternity pattern, such as 40's sleeves or fancy collars. Best wishes!!

Ohairas

MissTayva

Hi, welcome!
I had twins last June, and have a three year old... so I definitely know what a pain it can be to find stylish maternity wear!
I was actually very lucky to find several very nice vintage maternity outfits.
One in particular, is black gabardine with a leopard fur collar...and YES, the skirt left the belly exposed. It's beyond me why they don't do that anymore. I found wearing the modern maternity pants and skirts would either cause severe itching or it would simply put too much pressure on my belly! Trust me, you'll find this out once you get mid pregnancy and closer to your due date! I also had some vintage capris, they were cut low on the belly, as well.

The maternity tops of the '50s were cut quite large. They make you feel bigger than you really are... but I still think they are much more stylish than the ones they make now (with the belly exposed, or really tight).

I suggest checking out Old Navy's website. I got some fantastic capris and a '40s-style bias cut dress, and the prices are very reasonable as opposed to, well, every other brand. Target also has really nice stuff, as well.

Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner