Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In The Photobooth

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I love these photos.
Usually vintage pics show a group of people standing straight and stiff, no smile in sight.
But these, these have character. Even grandma is having a good time and smiling in these photos! Looks like fun.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
...and women were nervous

pb106.jpg
o O ( Mustn't smile. The camera will steal my soul. )

pb37.jpg

In a flash, Clayton realized that his long lost kid brother, who'd supposedly died at birth, had been married to him these past 47 years.

pb94.jpg

She can't cook, but manalive! does she keep a clean kitchen.

pb50.jpg

"Was I drunk? Was he handsome? And did my ma gimme hell!"

pb167.jpg

Miss Don't-Mind-Me-I'll-Just-Sit-Over-Here-and-Fix-You-All-with-a-Glassy-Eyed-Stare of 1951.

pb80.jpg
o O (He doesn't know it, but we only keep him around 'cause we're too young to buy booze. )

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Looking at these photos and reading the added captions - for some unknown reason I "hear them" in the voice of Hans Conried - I can't help but wonder if any FL posters have "Photobooth" images of their own that they would post? I have some, but, as the saying goes: "You First!" That way, I won't feel so geeky when the CAPTION POLICE work their one-liner magic!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch, you are killing me. I seldom laugh aloud but if I were looking at these at school, people would think I am crazy. More please.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You Asked For It (well...one of you, anyway)

pb174.jpg

"No, I don't have polio, and no, I haven't broken my neck. I looked over my shoulder after a cop's wife and I got 30 days in this thing."

pb93.jpg
o O ( No one will ever guess I've just eaten an entire rhubarb pie. )

pb98.jpg

Ethel knew no one would believe she'd had an accident at school for the ninth time this month. But how could she explain the delicious feeling she got every time a boy drew marks on her forehead?

pb147.jpg

"I got the No Tie Blues / Lord they make me wanna holler
"I got the No Tie Blues / Nothin' underneath my collar
"'Cuz I got thirty-five cents / And a necktie costs a half a dollar"
- air steel guitar solo -

pb196.jpg
Mothers disapproved of his assistant's sense of humor, but Mr. Reifschneider usually got a shot or two off before the bawling started.
Unfortunately, Tony grew up deeply ambivalent about having his picture taken.
pb193.jpg

pb199.jpg

"Just hold that dime in your eyelid for three more shots, Ronnie, and your initiation ceremony is complete!"

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Is it just me, or does this lady look like "Mama Fratelli" from The Goonies?
gooniesmom.jpg

gooniesmom2.jpg

Maybe it's the hat....

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Hawkcigar said:
I can't get this picture out of my mind. I don't know exactly what it is, the eyes or maybe the expression. This lady looks like she has seen some rough times, has been through a lot and is just weary. It makes me kind of sad.

pb3.jpg

It is a bit sad. I bet in her younger days she was quite pretty. I wonder what kind of life she lived.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
thunderw21 said:
It is a bit sad. I bet in her younger days she was quite pretty. I wonder what kind of life she lived.

I think she is quite beautiful, her eyes are so expressive. In some strange way this photograph reminds me of Dorothea Lange's Migrant Mother.

zaika

One Too Many
That site is amazing!!! Thank you so much for posting the link. It's remarkable how, even though they are 'vintage', the people could easily be from today. And, I don't know why...but it always surprises me to see people in these old photos making silly faces and being candid.

The Captain said:
Looking at these photos and reading the added captions - for some unknown reason I "hear them" in the voice of Hans Conried - I can't help but wonder if any FL posters have "Photobooth" images of their own that they would post? I have some, but, as the saying goes: "You First!" That way, I won't feel so geeky when the CAPTION POLICE work their one-liner magic!

I have a few...some of which I've already posted. But, heck...might as well do it again! I'd be curious to see if the caption police could come up with something for them...lol

charlottethorning.png

miltonportrait.png

000332.jpg

lorraine1.png

000329.jpg

000330.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
Shearer said:
I'm a little late to this thread, but vernacular photography is a huge interest of mine.

Square America is fabulous, so if anyone else is interested try these other sites as well:

Bighappyfunhouse - the absolute best of the best, as far as I'm concerned. The owner usually puts up 2 or 3 pictures a day, and there is a huge archive to poke around in.

Oopik's Negativity - more townscapes than portraits, more blog than archive, but definitely worth a look.

Swapatorium - some vernacular photography along with goofy thrift finds and Lileks-like food experiments ;)

Shorpy - really beautiful vintage photography.

Old Pictures - just what it sounds like. Vernacular mixed in with professional shots. It has a really wide array, from the 19th century on.

Time Tales - found photographs from pre-1930 to the present.

Box of Slides - just what it sounds like!

Anyone else have links to sites I've forgotten to mention/don't know about?

A lot of these sites are linked to each other, but I thought I would stick them here for easy reference or for anyone looking for a great way to kill time.

Be warned though, you can easily lose hours just looking at Bighappyfunhouse's archives :D

I love Swapatorium! Big Happy Funhouse rules, too. Sounds like you and I have similar bookmarked sites. I found swapatorium through Malls of America. It's not as vintage as most people here like, but it's still pretty cool.

panamag8or

Practically Family
pb242.jpg

This one is part of a really neat series that follows the little girl as she grows up. She just drew on this one. She hits her peak in the late 50's, then one of the final pictures is from the 70's... in a bar... and she looks kinda rough.

There is also a series of another woman that is strictly photobooth pics, spanning 20 years or so.

Shearer

Practically Family
panamag8or said:
I love Swapatorium! Big Happy Funhouse rules, too. Sounds like you and I have similar bookmarked sites. I found swapatorium through Malls of America. It's not as vintage as most people here like, but it's still pretty cool.

Oh yes, I forgot Malls of America! We DO have similar taste... I think kitsch is wonderful, too.

I refer to the 50s and 60s around here as The Bronze Age ;)

Miss Brill

One Too Many
THis is my grandmother's brother's first wife. She was what they always called a "chippie" back then. I think she is beautiful, but my mother always talks about how cheap she looks. [huh]
1926503295_ad69e030bc_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou