Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Input desired in re linen shirts, slacks, and also on buttons

Chaperon

New in Town
Who makes linen or cotton/linen blend clothing worth having? It would help if tall sizes were available in the shirt department. I'd be appreciative for any leads to a good value manufacturer. Price is not as important as quality (and never is).

Also, what about buttons on linen? Cheezy plastic ones seem to miss the mark. I have a number of Aloha shirts and do actually have a weakness for the coconut shell numbers... I know they are oh so wrong on linen but there must be a better choice than genuine polymer.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I agree with BK on the choice of MOP buttons for linen shirts but you should know that they are more commonly found on the pricier shirts. How much are you willing to spend? And, what size shirt do you require?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Buttons

Baron Kurtz said:
I've always been a fan of mother of pearl buttons on linen. Also the caramel coloureed bakelite or corozo works very well, particularly for trousers.

bk

I agree BK. Where do you buy Corozo? I see it a lot on US clothing sites. What is that material actually? When I have MTM linen suits I usually use onyx coloured plastic. The swirls of brown on the cream go well with the linen.

Chaperon

New in Town
It depends somewhat

I am a 16 1/2 x 32 or 34 (I think). Tall sizes fit better as the proportions are right and the tails stay tucked in better (assuming it's atuck-in style).

As to cost, it would depend on the shirt somewhat. For example MOP buttons would extract more from me than poly-whatever ones as I understand both the market value, and that the manufacturer has extra cost there also.

All that said, less than $100 US per shirt would be a good thing.

Elaina

One Too Many
Dunno, I wouldn't do it for $100.

Glancing and figuring cost (irish linen at $10 a yard+shipping cost=$40), pattern, thread, MOP buttons at what I paid for them, interfacing and all the other little stuff, the material cost alone is $63. Add to that what is considered my overhead of running my machine and lights, gas to purchase these little things, and I'd make a little less then $6 an hour. I personally don't sew for less then $10 an hour.

This is why custom clothing is expensive. Before you touch anything, the cost is high enough, then you have to pay someone enough for them to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR