Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inquiry: Hillside Leather cafe motorcycle jacket

Boots

New in Town
Greetings Gents,

I've got some questions for you leather jacket enthusiasts. My wife recently purchased a cafe style horsehide jacket for me from a company called Hillside Leather. Having never seen or felt horsehide before, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had read it was supposed to be very thick, perhaps a bit stiff and excellent protection for motorcycling. Well, the jacket is made of a heavy leather that is not particularly stiff, thick or shiny for that matter. The jacket is a size 44. The shoulders and arms are fine, but there seems to be a lot of extra room around the mid section, and it may be a tad short. In any event, I've taken the liberty of attaching a few pics below and was hoping for your candid opinions. Is this jacket too big for me? Is it worth altering? Does anyone have experience with Hillside?

Many thanks,
Boots

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 482
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 437
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 510
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 355
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 412
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 371

lewisskimonster

Familiar Face
As long as its not a custom order, you should be able to just exchange it for a smaller size. I have a Hillside Buco style jacket in horsehide, and it is very well made, with 3.5 oz. weight, and it is breaking in nicely

apba1166

A-List Customer
I have a Hillside HH vest w/cordura lining. Wear it a lot, think it is very well made. But when I first got it, I felt it came a bit long and wide in the waist, though chest was perfect; I wore it a bit, got the feel, was certain it was a bit long/big and called them. He was exceptionally nice about it. I sent it back and they re-cut and sewed the same vest to my measurements at no charge. Fantastic service, I felt. Give them a call. That jacket doesn't look short, but they could take an inch or so out the waist for you if you want....Or if you prefer it longer, I believe they may exchange for a custom one at no charge and take the new one in to measurements you give them.

IXL

One Too Many
To me, the length is fine. It could stand to be a bit smaller in the mid section, but as it is would most probably not be a problem. You definitely have layering room, but I have no idea how important that is in San Jose.

Boots

New in Town
Thank you for your responses gentlemen.

I've contacted a very reputable shop up in San Francisco called Johnson Leather, and he agreed with all of you. Length is good, but it needs a few inches off the mid-section. He also said it wasn't safe to lay down a bike with that much loose material as it would bunch up or slide away rather than act as a "protective skin."

I'm going to contact Hillside today and send them pictures.

Thanks again!
Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy