Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inspiration LA 2023

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This was an amazing jacket from the 30’s but it was kind of toasty.
09FC0326-9D90-48F5-9644-560D4409F364.jpeg
F3D26889-A383-455F-887B-D4B2DA69C101.jpeg

Reminds me of this 'Westerner'

IMG_9790.jpeg
IMG_9791.jpeg

jeo

One Too Many
@jeo great pics thanks for sharing. Congrats on the buco, great score. We usually see these steerhide ones totally beat up with lots of 'teacore'. This one was well taken care of. So you actually met the first owner?

Is that the recently discussed Freenote x Himel collab I see there? Did you have a chance to try it on?

View attachment 505840

Yes, I met and bought the jacket from the original owner. She said she purchased new in 1964 or 1965. Sweet (but badass) little old lady!

That was indeed the collab jacket. It was a large size so I didn’t bother trying it on.

The shoulder is dropped that’s why the sleeves were so short in the measurements. That’s how the originals are.

Last edited:

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
Thank you @jeo for these pictures! I'm so glad you tracked that Buco down. It's a special jacket and the fact that you actually met the owner is so rad. Also that Beck! You are clearly a man after my own heart, and I'm taking that pic of you with David as a sign that maybe it's time to think about one of his 333's....though nothing beats mint vintage like you've just scored.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the great Pics!

Now, what about prices? Sales?

I saw a couple of price tags! The one Levi had a $8500 tag! Saw another that looked crisp and it had $850.

Do you believe the jackets were for sale or just for show? There were obviously some rare and desirable jackets.

I did guitar shows for years, never been to anything with vintage cloths.

Are the shows like this in the mid-west, like Chicago area?

I saw a few ebay jackets on there! At least one, Roughwear I regret not buying.

Any stuff like catalogs/advertising for sale?

Anyone have knowledge of the Buco linings we discussed?

Thanks for the post.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I recently sold a Hercules like this in brown. This one was listed at $2500 marked down to $2200. Yes it is most probably a Roughwear Co. jacket. I sold mine for considerable less.

1681055791590.jpeg

This Rough In was on ebay, the one I regret not buying.

1681056077764.jpeg

Early 50s Ralphs-Pugh horsehide. I've got this jacket. It has the finest Horsehide I have encountered, way beyond Buco and and most of the others. Like to know the price on this one.

1681056332435.jpeg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Come to think of it, It was a little bittersweet for me. I saw two jackets that I was snipped on eBay. The HD Cycle King in red/black plaid and a nice cross zip. I was hoping that the jackets went to a collector like myself but as I suspected a reseller. When I saw the actual jacket on a rack, I asked the seller about the jacket. He gave me a story. That is like pouring salt on a wound. However, there were some sellers who did have nice jackets for sale and were part of collections. there was one from a very nice person. Also, I almost pull the trigger on a nice HD cap but the seller was asking way too much over the retail going rate. What is intriguing to me was a particular jacket I saw. It had all the characteristics of the early 50s cycle king. Leather, stitching, and plaid lining. However, the jacket did not have a name tag. For me, this would settle the wondering question of who made the jacket for Harley.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Are her jackets affordable? Looks like some nice ones. Where is she from? Does anyone have a list of sellers or know where I could find one?

Her jackets were not affordable. However, she did have some classic ones. I particularly liked her HD collection. Correction, She is from Ventura California. Her name is Pat. Her exhibitor's name is Pat and Mike. Her husband Mike passed away some three years ago. Very nice person. Excellent collection

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Come to think of it, It was a little bittersweet for me. I saw two jackets that I was snipped on eBay. The HD Cycle King in red/black plaid and a nice cross zip. I was hoping that the jackets went to a collector like myself but as I suspected a reseller. When I saw the actual jacket on a rack, I asked the seller about the jacket. He gave me a story. That is like pouring salt on a wound. However, there were some sellers who did have nice jackets for sale and were part of collections. there was one from a very nice person. Also, I almost pull the trigger on a nice HD cap but the seller was asking way too much over the retail going rate. What is intriguing to me was a particular jacket I saw. It had all the characteristics of the early 50s cycle king. Leather, stitching, and plaid lining. However, the jacket did not have a name tag. For me, this would settle the wondering question of who made the jacket for Harley.
Here is an early unlabeled cycle queen with a HD belt. This one was near mint. I like HD designs, but am always suspect of their leather quality. I'm guessing several makers did HD jackets through the years and quality changed with each maker. A lot of jackets with HD labels were produced in the 50s.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2E6GyMSR9zoRoXi52

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24