Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instead of Where is Waldo! Where is Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Common Misconception

"Xmas" and "X-mas" are common abbreviations of the word "Christmas". They are sometimes pronounced "eksmas", but they, and variants such as "Xtemass", originated as handwriting abbreviations for the pronunciation "Christmas". The "-mas" part came from the Anglo-Saxon for "festival", "religious event": Crīstesmæsse or Crīstemæsse. This abbreviation is widely used but not universally accepted; some view it as demeaning to Christ, whilst others find it a helpful abbreviation.

The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as 1021 AD. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ), used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ"), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ. The labarum, an amalgamation of the two Greek letters rendered as ☧, is a symbol often used to represent Christ in Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christian Churches.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I saw a whole huge range of Jesus cards at the store. I was looking for something a little more "Merry Christmas, here's a gingerbread house," honestly. Not quite Season's Greetings but less devout. I saw no shortage of devout, in two languages.

Foofoogal

Banned
I am not wanting religious discussion about it. I am wanting discussion as I am a consumer looking for certain things in stores that take my money all year long. I see it as total discrimination.
I don't think anyone would want to go looking for decorations and stuff at Halloween and finding not a witch in the stores.
Ridiculous really.
I don't want to have to go to a Christian store. Many are overpriced anyway. I want to shop for these items along with my tires or clothing or groceries.
I have a tree, Santas, snowmen. I collect angels and my daughter collects snowmen. I like to also find Jesus based inventory.
A whole lot of consumer products are not being produced and that has to be a huge loss to a market that could be filled.
Pure stupidity.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Nick Charles in another thread.

Here's one for all our Men and Women serving this nation.

s156b.jpg

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
I am not wanting religious discussion about it. I am wanting discussion as I am a consumer looking for certain things in stores that take my money all year long. I see it as total discrimination.
I don't think anyone would want to go looking for decorations and stuff at Halloween and finding not a witch in the stores.
Ridiculous really.
I don't want to have to go to a Christian store. Many are overpriced anyway. I want to shop for these items along with my tires or clothing or groceries.
I have a tree, Santas, snowmen. I collect angels and my daughter collects snowmen. I like to also find Jesus based inventory.
A whole lot of consumer products are not being produced and that has to be a huge loss to a market that could be filled.
Pure stupidity.

You won't find something if there is no demand for it. Maybe it is simply a case of stores not having what didn't sell well in the past?

Why not shop at a smaller Christian store even if they are higher? Small stores can't stay in business with Wal-mart/Dollar store prices because they don't have enough community support (customers). More customers usually equals higher turnover & lower prices.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I did a little Christmas card shopping over the weekend in Brooklyn, and found a resonable percentage of religiously oriented cards among the ones I saw. I'm a little surprised you weren't able to. I mean in sinful old New York I find plenty, an in Bible Belt Texas you can't? Continue looking, I'm sure you'll find something. BTW, any Advent Calendar fans here? I got one Saturday that is fancy and 3-D pop-up and printed in China. It's neat, but I realized there's nothing like a genuine German Advent Calendar. Anyone else? They're great for kids. (Me being a very over-grown kid.)

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I remember this being a big issue over the past few years. However, this year I have seen Nativity sets and Christmas cards (with Christian messages) in many stores. I have seen some of these items at Lowes, Menards, Meijer, and some other stores around town. In fact, it seems like some stores lost so much business last year that they are making it a point to carry this merchandise this season. It looks like consumers made a difference.

Good Luck in your search. There is a lot more out there this year than in past years.

Weston

A-List Customer
Hmm. Well, as much as I'm a representative of the man upstairs' fan club, I refuse to send Christmas cards at 47 cents a card, or whatever it is these days. I'll just put them in the boxes at church. Yeesh! No wonder email's so popular.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
Ridiculous really.
Pure stupidity.

I do not think it is some kind of ban. I think the marketplace has spoken, and people seem to want less christ themed stuff. I could be wrong, but big retailers tend to have their own religious icon to hink about $$$$$$

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I am wanting discussion as I am a consumer looking for certain things in stores that take my money all year long. I see it as total discrimination.
Ridiculous really.

Discrimination? If it was selling it'd be on the shelves. If its not selling, it won't be. If people want to send Santa Claus and snowflakes instead of Jesus, the store will reflect those trends with their merchandise.

Ubiquity comes with demand.

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
Weston said:
Hmm. Well, as much as I'm a representative of the man upstairs' fan club, I refuse to send Christmas cards at 47 cents a card, or whatever it is these days. I'll just put them in the boxes at church. Yeesh! No wonder email's so popular.

As I remember it from long years ago, when we actually had a real U.S. Postal Service (and grand Post Offices) Christmas Cards were left unsealed with the tab just stuffed in the envelope and the postal rate was very inexpensive - 50% or less - probably bulk or post card rate. Actually, I think that was true of any unsealed mail, whether Christmas Cards or not. That was a great savings, as a first class letter stamp cost 3 cents. But now with all these modern advances of civilization, we no longer have such an opportunity. Please note the intended sarcasm.
Bill

Foofoogal

Banned
Well, I intend to take lemons and make lemonade. I am not just looking for Christmas cards. I do believe there is a demand and a big demand and I also think people just get so busy they don't really notice but when they start they are going to not like it very much. I will be busy this whole next year adding to my inventory like minded items.
I liken this to the now demand of Christian music and Christian movies. Big business. Huge. ( why am I thinking of Pretty Woman) lol
How I would love to know very well a plastics manufacturer and a patent attorney. This is what I want for Christmas. ;)
Going to watch a Charlie Brown Christmas! So far he has not been banned.

Moodle

New in Town
Foofoogal said:
Going to watch a Charlie Brown Christmas! So far he has not been banned.

Well, like other people have said, I really don't think it's a question of anything being "banned"--sounds like you're just in an odd area without much demand for religious decorations and cards. I usually have the opposite problem; where I grew up it was often kind of tough to find secular decorations. (aside from the tree, I guess--happy Yule to all, and to all a good night! :p )

I know you mentioned you'd rather do all your shopping in one place, but have you looked at Amazon or other online retailers?--they usually have huge selections, and at least it'd save you having to go out in search of things yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner