Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instructions for American Servicemen in Britain, 1942

Feraud

Bartender
This looks like something our local re-enactors can keep in their kits. Instructions for American Servicemen in Britain, 1942 : Reproduced from the original typescript, War Department, Washington, DC (Instructions for Servicemen S.) (Hardcover)
by The Bodleian Library (Editor)

In 1942, the United States War Department distributed a handbook to American servicemen that advised them on the peculiarities of the "British, their country, and their ways." Over sixty years later, this newly published reproduction from the rich archives of the Bodleian Library offers a fascinating glimpse into American military preparations for World War II.

The guide was intended to alleviate the culture shock for soldiers taking their first trip to Great Britain, or, for that matter, abroad. The handbook is punctuated with endearingly nostalgic advice and refreshingly candid quips such as: "The British don't know how to make a good cup of coffee. You don't know how to make a good cup of tea. It's an even swap." By turns hilarious and poignant, many observations featured in the handbook remain relevant even today.

Reproduced in a style reminiscent of the era, Instructions for American Servicemen in Britain is a powerfully evocative war-time memento that offers a unique perspective on the longstanding American-British relationship and reveals amusingly incisive American perceptions of the British character and country.
Enjoy. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I saw this in Barnes and Noble today. It is a nice little book with charming insights, or should I say oddball generalizations, like "The English cannot make a good cup of coffee, just like we cannot make a good cup of tea." A very interesting read. ;)

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
Oh how funny, I was just reading my husband's original copy today! My favorite line was "The British don't like it when you call their money 'funny money'". My grandpa gave me his left over 'funny money' from WWII, and he still calls it that! I will have to pick up another copy to bring to reenactments.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
That's too funny!

When I was working at Ford, we had some of the British over for professional exchange. The staff were showing them around the pavilion where all the awards won by the assembly plant were displayed. They all started laughing uproariously at one of them, and proceeded to pose for pictures with it for about ten minutes. The award was for "20 Years On The Job," meaning that the plant had met all its requirements for 20 years. In Britain "on the job," we learned, means something completely different! lol

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack said:
That's too funny!

When I was working at Ford, we had some of the British over for professional exchange. The staff were showing them around the pavilion where all the awards won by the assembly plant were displayed. They all started laughing uproariously at one of them, and proceeded to pose for pictures with it for about ten minutes. The award was for "20 Years On The Job," meaning that the plant had met all its requirements for 20 years. In Britain "on the job," we learned, means something completely different! lol

Ha ha! I had a similar experience with a buddy of mine who's originally from California. One evening he was complaining about working in the information technology business, and how he needed to do more exercise because he spent all day long "sitting on his fanny." After everyone within earshot stopped laughing hysterically, we explained to him that the word 'fanny' has very different anatomical connotations here in Australia!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy